View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I have found that variations in measurements when degreeing a camshaft is primarily caused by the dial indicator not being "square" or " parallel " with the valve, or not having a flat surface to place the dial indicator stem tip on the valve retainer. Those two items can cause issues trying to get an accurate, repeatable measurement. Regarding the +4. Most cam manufacturers are adding 4 degrees advance in when grinding the cam. It will generally say that on the cam card by stating the cam grind number followed by +4. Lastly, if you use the +4 keyway and marks on the timing gear, it should advance the cam 4 degrees. Naturally, it needs to be verified by degreeing the camshaft in.
I need to circle back to a previous question about if this cam has built in advance? If its on the cam card I'm not seeing it.
If it does, what is the purpose of built in advance and how does it related to degreeing the cam?

As for the other post. All great information on the math and double checking the degreeing process. I'm learning lot.

I would have no issue buying a Mellings cam but I wouldn't have any way to adjust it. And as with life my best option is also the most expensive. It does look like a nice chain and I know its the one that the Simms unit is based off.
https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...timing%2Bchain

Given all that If my mearsurent is correct at 111.5
and if I move the crank sprocket to the strait up
I will be at 107.5 and thus just 1.5 deg off the mark
To me this seem more ideal as long as I don't get into a detonation issue.