View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
My ohm reading is 1 at rest and goes down (around 0) as it is depressed.
"Around 0" when activated is good. "1 at rest" is not. Do you have your meter on the correct (low-ohms) scale? At rest, the meter reading should be "open circuit", "infinite", or "out of range". "1 ohm" makes no sense, 1 megohm might.

Quote:
I assume with taped to activate, it should send power to wire to solenoid for the one time click. Or is the wire only powered at the depress mode for an instant and sending signal to solenoid?
The solenoid clicks once, but the power to it is constant as long as the gas pedal is pushed far enough to activate the switch.

Quote:
I went out and using my test light to check power out of switch. It works. My test light shows power comes out only when switch is about 1/8" away from full depression as if floored. So, I made sure my switch was taped at full depression and I have power to wire underneath at first of the two solenoids on tranny.
Seems reasonable. Still not sure of your switch adjustment.

Quote:
Now I know the front receptacle is the solenoid for kickdown.
I wouldn't call it the "front receptacle". It's the vertical leg of the "T" made by the two blades on the trans connector.

Quote:
I also have full throttle and switch is fully depressed. I don't feel much of the ratcheting as described earlier, maybe due to wear.
The only time it ratchets is to set the adjustment. After that, no ratchet until you set initial position again.

Quote:
I assume this is only useful for the adjustment if you want kickdown at partial throttle rather than only full throttle?
The switch cannot be adjusted for part-throttle shifts. That is, you can set it most anywhere you want...but the first time you fully depress the throttle, it's going to ratchet into proper position where it kicks-down at "near" full-throttle.

Quote:
As my pic shows, this is at rest when pulled back as manual describes. But, I assume there is no setting it if the ratchet catch doesn't work?
The photo is not helping me visualize what's happening. Blurry, sideways, doesn't show the gas pedal rod vs. the post on the switch.

If the ratchet is worn-out, the switch will not hold adjustment. That's possible, but rare.

Leave the gas pedal in the idle position. Depress the lil' lock-tab on the switch plunger, and move the plunger OPPOSITE the direction that the gas pedal rod moves the post/switch plunger. I bet you'll hear and feel the ratchet.

When the post on the side of the plunger is closer to the gas pedal rod, cram the pedal to the carpet. You'll again hear the switch ratchet into position. The switch has self-adjusted to correct position.

Done.
[Edit] Found a photo of the pedal vs. switch; I was mistaken. The switch moves opposite the way I thought it did. The service manual illustration you posted is correct--but--are you depressing the lock-tab to move the plunger FULLY to the end of it's travel? Then mat the gas pedal, you should hear it ratchet.
[/Edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 Kickdown 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	596261  

Last edited by Schurkey; 08-11-2022 at 02:53 PM.