View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
My factory 400 block is filled to the bottom of the water pump holes and a Pro Gram eng. caps on the center 3 mains. 4.5" stroke and the short block has been together for 10 years with it a 20 psi most of the time on the dragstrip, 16 to 18 on the street. The cam is a flat tappet hyd. with 0.488 lift and 224/232 duration @ 0.050" and it only really make power to about 5600 rpm with the boost at 20 psi.
At 20 psi it makes about 800 at the tire at 5300 rpm and well into the 900 range on torque. Good luck on your project, you will love boost. Turbo Pontiac's to the front.

And I should mention my old 455 2bolt short block that still has factory bolts, with worked cast rods, cast factory crank and a set of Ross pistons went 6.02 at 120mph to the 1/8 mile, with a bunch of boost.
Your build sounds like a ton of fun! I have my fingers crossed that mine has a similar long geverty... I am doing everything I can to address all known areas to be improved on to help the block survive. The rotating assembly while may not be the lightest... its lighter than the factory rotating assembly... and its also nearly zero balanced... (.03 OzInch) I hope that teamed up with the ATI super damper will remove harmonic factors from the equation... Plus the ECM tuning should help insure the tune is not silently beating the engine up from the inside out. So those are some contributors I believe where a huge factor in the demise of many blocks where HP alone was blamed.

It sounds like your engines are well sorted out, thank you for your input!!!

SPEED SAFE, NICK