View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Sorry I must have plugged in a number wrong. Max power on a N/A engine with a 110% eff at .26 hp x cfm x 8 is 690 hp @ 6343 rpm. Not sure how I cam up with 7k. Then I come up with just over 1000 hp with 10 lbs of boost.

With heads flowing 330 + and the big cid and stroke you probably do not need a lot of cam or a lot of boost for the street.

The boost engines I have done were 318 LA Mopars with 214/224 cams, .443/.465. We did boost from single digits up into the lower 20s. Small cam but comparatively slightly bigger than a 224/232 would be in a 4.5 stroke Pontiac. We started with a stock head, and moved to ported heads eventually. We played with different turbos and A/R ratios. N/A the engine made max power with that little cam at around 5200-5500. There was a couple turbo variations we tried that peak power moved to 6000. We did some experimenting without the waste gate with some high octane fuel and the power band was very flat, and didn’t fall of until some place past 7500 rpm. I don’t see any issue making the big cubes and small cam work. It appears to me you could get by with a lot less lift than .65 on boost if your serious about putting miles on your car. Maybe could do a programmable waste gate with a smallish cam and make the turbo work harder at the top end, that might be the best of both worlds.
We are definitely on the same page now. I may chose a cam with even less lift just so I can take advantage of a bit more boost... I was leaning on 650 only because its right in the sweet spot of the head flow. I am leaning on a solid roller however that could flip to Hydraulic... everything is still under consideration.

I do plan on using the ECM to progressively control the boost controller. The objective is for the boost to come on progressively yet consistently and most importantly predictably. I am not sure how much control I can have over the boost controller yet however I do plan to use the ECM to control boost as a large part of tuning. I would love to make it feel seemless with NA like predictability into the throttle positions. I would love to road course it out here at Miami International Speedway periodically for fun, However I feel turbos can be unpredictable exiting the corners while easing on the throttle... But If I can control them with the ECM and make them predictable that would be AWESOME!

SPEED SAFE, NICK