View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It seems like nothing changes in this hobby. The last time I looked it was 2022 and we are still having to deal with "cobbling" to install aftermarket parts that make less power than the factory parts that were removed. At least the engineers making that stuff should at least take the time to make sure that it's a direct fit and easy install with the factory components.

I still remember having to shim up the factory bracket and modify it for the RPM intake I tried years ago. The mounting position was too low and too far to the rear. I put studs in the mounting holes and used washers to get the height correct, then slotted the holes to get it closer to the carb. That still wasn't enough so I had to modify the attachment point where the cable bolted to the bracket to get enough travel so it would allow the carb to return to idle.

Then the Shaker was too tall to allow the hood to close so had to obtain a shorter variety, then the lid for the air cleaner was too high so had to go to a shorter air filter element.

When all said and done it didn't work well and the engine hated it. I couldn't make full throttle drag strip passes with the air cleaner lid in place so had to remove it and make a custom air filter for the Shaker opening.

All that work just to use a part which I found out later actually slowed the car down slightly in the 1/8th mile over my ported factory intake.

I'll add here that at one point I tested the Performer intake and it was a TURD on my 455 making right at 500hp back then. It acted like a restrictor plate so I had to abort drag strip testing with it and go back to the factory intake.

A few years later I dyno tested one on a 455 we had on the dyno and it was down nearly 20hp from a factory intake. SInce all that when one shows up here we cut the water crossover of of it and toss the rest in the scrap pile.........FWIW.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: