View Single Post
Old 04-27-2023, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
be sure you put sealant on the intake rocker stud as it goes into the intake port, as well as the valve cover bolts.
Skip,

You know... Good point. Of course I've had those studs in and out. And they bolt in with the pushrod plate in between. I've seen those bolt holes on the inside of each runner. And I didn't put the studs back in with sealant. Hopefully we have a winner! I'll go redo those with blue loctite when I have a chance. That might well be it.

Regarding those valve guides. Yes, they sure come tight. Practically had to pound some of the valves out. But I did make sure to see that none of them were too tight by the time I put it all back together. And even the tightest of them aren't really tight once the top of the stem is out of the guide hole. And even the loosest of them doesn't really have any measurable rocking to it. I'm fairly sure that all should be OK..

Regarding the ports themselves. Yeah, those are really big! Of course I'm already on the RAIV intake gaskets beause it's an HO motor with an HO intake. I definitely didn't feel like anything needed to be any bigger. Just those head bolt bosses stick out pretty far into the stream so it seemed obvious to me they needed knocking back as much as possible. And of course trying to flatten and widen the floor before the short turn. The other thing I did was take the four intake bolt holes that are supposed to hold the plastic intake gasket locators and Drilled it a short way in with a half inch drill bit like the factory heads have. That way I was able to use the orange plastic gasket locator washers to make sure the intake gasket stayed aligned as I bolted it all together. Not sure why Edelbrock didn't feel the need to do that part.

I'll report back after I seal up the rocker studs. Fingers crossed.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod