View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I don’t use a loc-tite to seal up stud holes that open into intake ports , liquid Teflon only works in blind holes and Teflon tape is a crap shoot since your not dealing with pipe threads.

I use gray silicone form-a- gasket and it needs to set up overnight before the motor is put back in use.
Steve, thanks. People don't usually define "sealant on the threads" what they mean.

And I'm afraid in my life I've had an old 70s Honda, then an 80s Chrysler, then the Pontiac. And all have been "blind hole" engines for the most part. Maybe if I'd done loads of Chevy work like the rest of the world I'd be more up on this bit but honestly it wasn't anything I really had to worry about until now. The valve cover bolt holes shocked me when I first got the E heads and I dealt with them, as I recall, with some bits of cut off bolts and JBWeld and just use short bolts for that side of the valve cover. But the rocker studs are things I think I might need to remove at times. I must say when I disassembled the heads the factory thread sealant did look, at a glance, a lot like blue loctite.. I'll redo the operation with better cleanliness and some RTV instead.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod