View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 07:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Last year I got hail damage on my El Camino. My insurance paid me off but of course, I had to fix it myself since I wouldn't trust anyone else to repair one of my hobby cars that I had painted in the first place.

So, I bought both a rod PDR kit and a glue pulling kit with a light. I tried the rods and quickly learned that this wasn't for me and returned the kit for a refund.
I had some success with the glue kit but couldn't make perfect. Like our GTOs, my El Camino is 20 gauge sheetmetal and my belief is PDR would be a lot easier on late model cars with thinner sheetmetal. I don't know but I'm thinking newer cars are probably 22 or maybe even 24 gauge.

What I was able to accomplish with the glue kit was to get the dings out far enough so when I block sanded the paint, I could get it perfectly flat without cutting through to the primer. I blocked using a long sanding block with 400 paper dry. Then I just sprayed 2 coats of new paint.

The damage was limited to the tailgate and 1 quarter panel since the car was parked in my back garage with the garage door open when the hail storm hit.
The storm came so fast it caught me unprepared to be able to get out there and close the door before the storm hit.

For painting, I removed the tailgate. I painted the entire quarter panel and blended the paint up into the sail panel. It worked well.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO