View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

I dont know if it will help, but I tried to go the opposite direction in adapating a 66 sedan hitch to a 68 vert. I believe you will find that the main cross piece will fit just fine, the problem will be on the brace that runs from the hitch tongue and bolts to the bottom of the rear bumper. The bumper on the 66 is MASSIVE, while the 68 by comparison is only big. How similar is a 65 rear bumper to 66? The 68 valance may also get in the way. I had an old bent up one I cut up to fit the brace. I then bolted the brace to the last cross member on the frame. (That last crossmemember is way too light by the way for any serious weight.)

I removed one from another 68 coupe years ago and on that one, the brace was bolted through the trunk floor and was pretty bent up, so I scrapped the whole thing.

I'd be interested in photos of the 68 hitch, for comparison.

I believe you will be just a happy with welding to the existing hitch tongue. Previous to doing the 66 hitch, I diced and spliced one of the universal reciever type hitch kits to the 68 by modifying the bumper brackets and mounting it to the outside of the frame using the same holes in the frame used for the bumper brackets. Strong, but UGLY.