View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 03:11 PM
Senior Chief

I had one of their High Energy series cams in a mild 400 build and remember all the big ads in the magazines. Also remember the early days of NMCA and ran the circuit in 1995. I won Stock ET Championship that year. Broke a side gear in the 8.2 posi during time trials in final at Memphis. Found a unit in swap meet and the guy had tools to open it up. Took the side gears out and put them in my unit. Finished the event with highest point total. Also "won" the bracket race they had with 164 cars. Saturday night we were the last pair of cars to run. It was almost midnight and I dialed a 13.64 and my opponent did the same. I had a fender on him the entire race. When his win light came on I figured I broke out (very rare for me). When I picked up my ET slip they had put my dial in wrong as a 13.69. That was a $1,000 to win screw up. I received $500 for runner up. That sure hurt as technically I beat my opponent. But rules say once you stage the car whatever is on the display is what you are dialed in at. However their display was missing some bulbs that made it difficult to read. Oh well the consolation was I won the Championship that weekend. I was sponsored by BF Goodrich when they first brought the drag radials to market. I won at the first event of the season at Gainesville so they gave me a set of tires to run. My car was in their national advertisements that ran in Hot Rod and Car Craft as well as their book of Champions they publish each year for the winners they sponsor in different racing categories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA NMCA Winner sharpened.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	596912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141120105749429.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	596913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	229