View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Decided to bring this almost 20year old thread back to life here and NOT in the Race section, which has an older thread as well. Im not building a drag car here. Im just starting to do the math and work on a 1970 Firebird 400. This engine I hope to use in the Silver State Classic . This means roughly 100 mph, for roughly 100 miles in the Middle of Nevada. And I want the AC on..... With a suit and helmet and gloves, and a hot passenger, its a must for this rookie effort. Many cars run this at well over 200 mph in their bracket. SO, Before machine work gets done, I wanted to take advantage of Steve's knowledge and advice and make sure I run COOL. If I lived in AZ, Nevada, Calif, or Texas, or Florida etc, I would do this on every Poncho motor.
First is to block off the 3 coolant holes in the front, which forces the coolant to the rear of the block, where it can better cool and maintain a even temp throughout the block and up through the heads, especially the Middle exhaust area.
Tools needed : 1. 3/8 drill
2. LETTER Drill Bit "R" This is specific to the tap and plug you need. Easy to find, but Not a home depot. A fastenal can get ya one, or ebay.
3. 1/8-27 NPT Pipe Tap.
4. 3/8 drive 12 POINT socket ( or a Tap handle that does 3/8 taps) 3/8 drive short ratchet.
5. Cutting oil
6. 1/8 NPT Pipe Plug ( Allen drive 6 required)
The 3 plugged per side are NOT all uniform in size due to casting, rust, etc. Some drill easier than others. Use cutting oil and drill on Slow.
Start the tap and then use oil and go back and forth with it Slowly. Some tap easier than others due to casting thickness and original size.
I used my tap to the end of taping threads, so my plugs were below block. They are snug and tapered, they will Not move once they are finally installed.
I will drill the much discussed ( racing section) center hole when I get a a couple high quality drill bits.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	585012   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	585013   Click image for larger version

Name:	b10.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	585014   Click image for larger version

Name:	b3.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	585015   Click image for larger version

Name:	b4.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	585016  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 02-27-2022 at 02:19 AM.