View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer
Default Black Ghost

It's been a long time since I checked into this forum. Before a few years ago no body that I knew that regularly raced/ cruised Woodward, Telegraph, Northwestern Hwy/ I696 ever seen or heard of the Black Ghost. I've seen it up close several times this year and have heard it run. The original owner's son drives it and shows it. To tell you the truth that car being a "stock" street Hemi back in the day was not a preferred MOPAR for the street. It would have been a 440 6Pack or in the Dusters/Demands a 340 or 360, the T/A with a 340 Six Pack would all run more consistently than a street Hemi. I had no problems with running a Street Hemi with my Nova. The Nova ran 12.8's at Lapeer Dragway on street tries and open headers. The Nova hooked up much better on the street than on the strip. No one here in Detroit understands what the big deal is about that car that no street racer ever heard of or seen at the hot spots of the day other than being an original owner car.
When you review the link to the Black Ghost, you'll see the car seemed to race in the City of Detroit. Not exactly the Meca for hot cars. The action was not within the City of Detroit or Highland Park but in the wealthier suburbs of Woodward Ave. Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills. The Cities that the Woodward Dream Cruise Passes through. One guy in a 427 Vette from West Bloomfield does not represent the action out on Woodward from North of the Detroit City limits at 8 Mile Road all the way almost to the City Of Pontiac past Ted's Drive Inn at Square Lake Rd in Bloomfield Hills. No the Black Bird would not have wasted it's time with that car. Maybe one of Jim Wanger's lesser cars would have. Like his '69 GTO Ram Air IV Bobcat that ran 12.50's. If it got by the Bobcat Jim would throw his '69 Judge at it which ran mid 11.s.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 08-01-2022 at 04:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer For This Useful Post: