View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
We also have multiple 3500lb street cars (full interior, registered, regularly driven on the street) with turbo LS combos running 7.30s-7.50s at 180-190mph on 275 radials.

I think the widespread use of the LS across so many platforms really helped drive development of aftermarket parts compared to the much narrower focus of the Pontiac engine (one brand, older tech needing much more upgrading). In all-out drag cars down here in Australia we're seeing LS engines be replaced by hybrid designs like the Noonan Hemi-headed LS and the like as people chase ever more horsepower.

Absolutely.. GM pulled the plug on Pontiac forged part and go fast stuff in the early/mid 60's... they decided Chevrolet was their bread and butter and Pontiac was winning at the track.. roundy round and straight line and they couldn't have that happen..
It's only natural that the LS would accel due to history and corporate backing..
The only reason Pontiac is as fast as is today is due to a handful of racers like Langer, Tony/Billy, little Jack, Eric and crew, and the list goes on.. pushing the envelope and paying out of pocket to develop parts needed... it certainly wasn't because parts were available like they are for the LS!
I do however know it's ( the LS) a superior design... everything about it from oiling to heads to block design and material...
On a side note, in my opinion, ford answered the LS with the Coyote engine... it's a tight race between those 2... LS has had more time to develop but the Coyote is right there with it in half the development time.. all my opinion of course