View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Keith,
That would be a great thing for you to run him the weekend of Road Kill drag racing. We know that will not happen. Since Stellantis (Chrysler) is a sponsor they wouldn't want to see there stock street Hemi beat. Back in the day a MOPAR guys would street race 440 Six pack or Demon/ Duster 340 or 360. They ran more consistent on Woodward. Street Hemi's would load up too easy. You need to stop by Pasteiner's on Woodward north of 14 Mile Rd, some early Saturday morning. These guys are getting there as early as 6:45 AM just park out front along Woodward and not get blocked in the parking lot. The official start time is 8AM until 10 AM. Than we have to clear out before the other businesses open. The Black Ghost has shown up there the last couple of weeks. He was there two weeks ago but I had my Z06 there. I could probably take him on with my '68 GTO Bobcat. Last weekend Harold Sylvan was there with a film crew to show off Jimmy Addison's old '67 GTX aka the Silver Bullet. Keith Famie was making a film called "Detroit A City of Hot Rods & Muscle Cars" for PBS. I had no idea they were coming and got attacked as I showed up with my GTO. "Why didn't I bring the Black Bird"? I replied, "because I sold it and would have had it there if I know anything about this!" Harold claims that he was told I'd be there with the Black Bird. Yah right! They filmed me with a few other guys around a 1963 XKE. They even interviewed Steve Pasteiner SR, Steve Pasteiner JR and Frank Hicks. None of these three had ever been around back in the day. Seriously! They filmed the two Pasteiner's talking to Harold next to the Bullet. I was right there. I loved the question one of the two Steve's asked Harold. "Is that the original engine". Harold told them No! Told them how he got the car and he had to get a hood and deck lid for it. But didn't expound. I did add to it that the car had been blue and was used for testing at Carlsbad Dragway in California before Tom Hoover got it for Addison. Incase you don't already know, Addison had a tunnel ram on the engine he had in the car and cut the old glass hood for a "Pro Stock" style hood scoop. The engine was removed to put into a lighter car. Many cars had come out that where much lighter and faster. Like Joe Ruggiero's Mustang II built by Wayne Gapp and Jack Roush with a 509 CID engine running in the mid to low 9'S. Steve Lisk with his Challenger with the Tunnel Ram. Those two cars had been featured together in the Oct 1976 Issue of Car and Driver's article by Brock Yates, "Back to the Street Mother". It was about our continuing Thursday night High End Club racing on I-696. Meeting at the Nugget Restaurant on 12 Mile Rd near Orchard Lake Rd. Then you had Jim Wangers' and his red Monza with NOS in the low 9's. Addison et. al. had a Duster they acid dipped a little too long. The Duster was not usable. That was the end of Jimmy Addison and his street racing. If they don't cut me out of the film you'll see how I'm trying to bite my lip and keep my mouth shut. The best I know is that Harold was NOT a street racer back in the day. But claims to have gone to the Sunoco Station where Addison worked. The station was just the next block north of the complex Pasteiner's is in. It's now an oil change shop. I can tell you that in 1967-'68 I stopped by that Shell Station with my car. Stepped in side and Jimmy Addison can running out of the service are yelling "what do you what". I replied "gas". Jimmy said "You kids get out of here! Stop coming in here". I found out he did that to every kid that stopped by. A few years later I saw the rusty acid dipped Duster in the one bay when it came back from the dipper as I drove by the station many times while cruising Woodward. I saw the Motown Missile there once. ANY WAY. Back to the Black Ghost. I'll see if the kid is willing to run my worn out 1968 GTO Convertible Royal Bobcat for some smiles and giggles! What do you think? Oh, you have to see the trailer they made. So many shots that are NOT Detroit! Like the drag strip. Not any of the three around Detroit that are left. Not Milan, Ubly or Lapeer. Interview with Tim Allen (Bones) with his California collection. Tim went the Birmingham Seaholm and had a Corvair back in the day. Tim and I have mutual friends including his older brother John Bones. You'd think they'd hook up with the Dan Jenson for the Pure Stock Nationals. I'd say lack of depth in their research here! Take care! Here is the like to the trailer: https://detroitmusclecarfilm.com (NOT FOR HISTORIC VALUE)

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 08-04-2022 at 07:46 PM.