View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
www.jjsautomotive.com ask for Brian. Located near Pittsburgh, but ships all ocver the worl. He's a friend of mine.

You serious? Why would someone pull a motor/trans out of a car that was not a total loss? That's why these cars end up at salvage yards. Obviously nobody wants a junk motor, but if you deal with a decent, reputable shop you sholdn't have any worries. I have seen fire damaged & flooded motors that were just fine but needed a bunch of accy items to get running again. My T56 that's in my truck came from a burnt '95 camaro that even the shifter was melted and not much else was any good. The trans has taken almost 10 years of abuse without any trouble.

I said this because you want to make sure the car was not front ended and hit the crank balancer can damage things sometimes the recyclers will pull the pulleys off because they got bent and or replace the balancer. Then you have a crank and bearings that could be wiped

also if it was a flood car was it fresh or salt water? Makes a big difference

never get a car that was in salt water major issues, fresh water it will last a little longer before corrosion issues with electronics and related.

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible