View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 10:24 PM

Default Can Am hood opening dimensions or template

I am looking for "at best" a template showing dimensions of the hole in the hood of a 77 Can Am. "At the least" if someone could give me the dimensions from the rear of the hood to the center of the back edge line of the shaker opening I would be grateful!!

In 1996 we took a 76 LeMans Sport Coupe and installed a Can Am spoiler and a shaker on the car. I made a template from a friends Can Am hood and cut the hole. The car had the original 350CID Pontiac engine with a 2 barrel carburetor on it so I knew that I would have to make some adaptations with the shaker and the base. Once I got everything together and bolted up with the 2 barrel the shaker sat so high that I could not install the weather-stripping on the shaker. It looked good sitting high out of the hood however I really could not seal it.

The car was dismantled in 2006 and just recently put back together this time with a 455 Pontiac and a quadrajet. With the hood closed and without a gasket when you look at the rear opening the shaker looks like it is too far forward. I do not believe that there was any front to back adjustments or specific "Can Am offset base plates to get the shaker centered. I know that Pontiac made different bases and tops for the Olds engines and the 301 Pontiac engines that they put in the Trans Ams.

I know that I cut the hole correctly based on the template and his car also had the 400 Pontiac and not the Olds engine so I am dumbfounded!

Is this perceived gap sealed when you put the proper gasket on the shaker?

Any help would be helpful!!

Thank you,

Jeff Sr.