View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I'm curious if you are still using the list of parts that you posted before, and what headers you are using. Looks like Edelbrock headers, which part number? Had you thought about running SW or Hooker headers too? Also did you relocate your alternator as you had expected?

I'm looking at 68-69 Lemans/GTO LS swap, and so am curious as to what parts are working out.
Work has come to a stop I have a broken foot and won't be doing much work for a while. Anyway to answer you question, I did not consider anything but the Edelbrock headers (A-Body swap headers) because they are part of their LS1 installation package. The package includes motor mounts, headers and exhaust system. You can also buy the components seperately. By sticking with a kit there should be less problems of making things fit. Also bear in mind that while I want very good performance from this project, all out performance was not my primary goal. So if I give up a few HP by my header and muffler selection, that’s OK for me. I am going to see if I can fit stock 05-06 GTO mufflers under the car.

The only thing I relocated was the AC compressor, I used a Sanden 508 instead of the GM unit and used relocation brackets from KWIK http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html Other that that I used the LS2 Corvettte accessory kit from GMPP.

Although I am very close to being able to fire the fire, I still have a few things to resolve. Things left to resolve:

I don't have enough clearance where the transmission lines come out of the transmission. I will need to either lower the transmission about 1/2" or make a small modification to the transmission tunnel.

The Pedal from Hell.

The Accelerator Pedal (part of my ECM kit from Speartech) didn't come with a bracket and looks like it will require extensive fabrication to make something that will locate it correctly.

4L70E linkage problems.

The 4L70E had some kind of switch assembly that mounted at the transmission linkage connection. This moves the mounting point for the shifer linkage about 2" farther out. I am using a dual-gate shifter with a modification kit from Shiftworks. This kit as is, will not work with a 4L70E transmission. The simplest solution would appear to make a new bracket that will hold the transmission cable about a 1" farther away from the transmission. Otherwise the cable binds in the lower gears "1-2-3", seams to clear Park to OD.

Vintage Air vs. Stock AC.

While I was considering a Vintage Air system I have found out that here is no possibility of having outside air feed through the AC ducts with their system. They seal the door in their system. I'm simply not willing to give up outside air through the vents so it looks like I have to make the factory system work somehow. I use "vent" far more often than either AC or Heat.

Battery Location.

It would be better to locate the battery on the passenger side. The six cylinder engines located their battery on the passenger side. However the battery tray for the six is not reproduced and finding a used one looks difficult.