View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Engine rebuild progress

I swore after restoring the '78 Macho that I would NEVER buy another project car that was in pieces that someone else had taken apart. Well, you know what they say about never saying NEVER! This project has been 100% better than the Macho, however, the engine situation has not been too far off.

Said prior owner who ran the car into the ground before a 35 year slumber really ran it hard. I purchased the car with the original engine included, but I had no idea if it was actually in a state of being rebuildable. Visibly from the outside there weren't any holes in the oil pan or through the side of the block...

Turns out, it had been rebuilt once before. Cylinders were .030 over, including one questionable cylinder wall, rods that were "lightened" beyond reusing, a crank that had been "balanced" very sloppy and not original. Joe took the block to a local machine shop he likes. They reported the block can be used again and I was ecstatic! Basically the entire lower end needs to be replaced and Joe had several suggestions for different directions we could go. In the end, we decided with a 467 stroker kit from Jim Butler Performance! I am extremely stoked to say the least! Externally the engine will look factory stock, but internally will be a torque monster!

The headache currently is hunting down all of the small details like pulleys, brackets, OEM valve covers, intake vacuum system etc... I have collected the correct carb, small amp alternator, starter, date coded water pump and five blade flex fan. Some pretty odd parts very unique to a low option, no A/C car!

Here is a quick picture of some parts Joe has cleaned up and waiting for assembly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79 W72 engine parts.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	603341  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78Macho For This Useful Post: