View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
i adjusted distributor timing to get max vacuum, about 14-16 , then backed it down a bit . It measured 20 initial.
WITH or WITHOUT the vacuum advance connected?

WHERE is the vacuum advance connected--manifold; or ported vacuum?

Adjusting the timing at idle for "max vacuum" is almost certainly going to be WAY TOO FAR advanced. 20 degrees of initial timing (assuming no vacuum advance) is in the range of starter-motor kickback problems, and shattered starter housings. In addition, depending on how much centrifugal advance the distributor allows, you could be way over-advanced at high speed.

Be careful!

Quote:
I then attacked the idle mixture screws(2) for best vacuum. Gained 1-2 inch of vacuum. checked 02 sensor, and it was 11.5 or so. I leaned it out to about 13.2 at idle.
Lean-dropping the idle mixture screws a little bit does wonders for tailpipe emissions while not affecting idle quality very much. See how it runs, but you have--maybe--gone too far lean. I lean-drop based on a vacuum gauge not an O2 sensor; I lose 1/4--1/2 inch of vacuum from best idle for the two screws combined.

Quote:
So time for a test drive to feel raw power of points action.
Not a bit better than HEI "action"; potentially worse at higher RPM as the coil fails to saturate at a lower rpm with points than with HEI.