View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 01:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default shifter pedestal

This always having been a column shifted car, mounting a good looking shifter on the floor always presented a challenge when it came to reach. I originally put the ProStick directly on the tunnel but when harnessed in, I could never manipulate the reverse lockout. Time to make it a fix! (I heard an old Italian F1 mechanic say that once... Once.)

Starting with an educated guess in rise, I made a cardboard template, borrowed a brake and bent this up.

Instead of bolts through the tunnel this time, which if ever loosened were next impossible to tighten, I put thread-serts in the floor. Man I love thread-serts. But, make sure you don't drill too big of a hole, and make sure when you do drill, its on a flat plane and the drill is straight. Otherwise, youll have to weld the thread-sert in place. Stupid thread-serts.

Next time I think Id rather weld a mount off the floorboard brace and bolt the shifter to that. But thats next time. Back to the parallelogram.

Mmmm.....ooooh, ahhh. Dimple dies. So cool. And a little bit of shiny paint. And one more for Jenny and the wimp.

I didn't want the shifter mount to look brand new. Under any of the Rustoleum black I typically spray, I lay down Rustoleum's Rusty Metal Primer as what else? A primer. This was no exception and would prove a good contrast for my experiment in patinanessness.

The reality is I likely used the wrong gauge steel for this piece. At the very least, it needed some cross bracing. it was pretty flimsy. I was hoping the dimple took care of that, and while slightly better, not rock solid like a mount needs to be. At the very least, the simple fix below added back some strength. We'll see what a season of driving does to it all.

Finished product with the satin clear....minus one pin, plus one finger. (Fear not, that cable takes a better path now!)

I mocked up the seat and love where the shifter sits now. So comfortable and easy to operate.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread

Last edited by 73LeMans; 05-15-2020 at 01:55 AM.