View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
What tech tip number are we on? I guess we don’t really need one because I might be off base but welding and magnets don’t always get along. We had to drill out some studs at work a couple months ago. We had a drill fixture plate with a mag base drill lined up on the part ready to be tack welded in place: The welder dude was having a hard time getting the stick welder to work properly. Eventually he realized the magnet was on the drill. I’ve been having the same issue with burn thru with patch panels It just dawned on me about the magnets. Of course it could be the rust I’m trying to weld to..
Haha, I'd offer a tip if I actually knew what went wrong. You might be on to something. I'm inclined to go with the magnets as well. I've done the jamb dog legs and never had a problem there, or even on the trunk floor, until of course it got rusty and just kept blowing away. But that was explainable - the trunk needed a patch much bigger than the area I was trying to weld to. Once that was in, it all went fine.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread