View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Headers

Like the rest of us, Ive lost track of how many sets of headers Ive gone through over the years. To name a few -> Blackjack, Hedman, Hooker, Maddog 2x (don't even get me started on that guy). The time had come where I was finally tired of seeing very expensive pieces just crumble to rot in short order. This time around they had to be stainless.

I debated the idea, as I'm sure most of us have; make them myself or send them out? This battle raged for months in my head.

- Pro - I get to buy a TIG welder
- Pro - it will be cheaper to build them myself, even after buying the stainless and the welder
- Pro - I learn something new. Even if its that I don't want to make my own headers

- Con - drastic TIG learning curve
- Con - Time
- Con - dport heads
- Con - expensive mistake if they suck
- Con - If I fail, I still need stainless headers

You know its kinda hard to get good at anything if you're not doing any of the work, so this wasn't an easy decision. The car had been down for so long at this point though, did I want to delay it another 2-3 months finding out what everyone was already telling me, that headers suck to build?

Well, ultimately I listened to "those people" and leaned on a guy in CT to do the work. A few guys near me could do this, but I didn't like any of their attitudes. Those were just the ones who would actually respond. Most never bothered to return a message or pick up the phone. Strange how that is, but all too common with me and contractors it seems. Must be me.

Enough about them, lets get to the good stuff.

Getting headers first means the engine had to go in -

and then I had to load it up -

And drop it off here, at JW Racing & Fabrication, 2hours and 45 minutes from home.

And through the magic of the interweb, and the fact that all of this was completed a long time ago - I can show you the finished product -

Couldn't be happier with Joe @JW and his work. Hes a kickass artist and great guy to deal with. These should last a long time.

The only drawback to all of this awesomeness was a remote oil filter was most definitely going to be needed.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread