View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The underside of the roof is my main concern when it comes to the Ospho ... that's going to be a doozy to reactivate, scrub and rinse. I assume you can NOT blast over the Ospho because it will imbed in the metal? Would there be a better choice for under the roof? That's going to involve a lot of water inside the body which could take weeks to fully dry out.

So ... unless I plan to scuff I need to do any top coats of anything within 7 days?

Will scuffing give me adhesion as well as if I was inside the 7 days? I ask this because I work slow, I'll only be doing one area of the body at a time.

Can I prime and trim the jambs and such with BC/CC in the final color and then spray the rest at a later date? I'll probably get the trim out done this summer, but it could be a year or more (we plan on moving) before the rest of the body gets painted. The car will probably be mostly assembled during the final painting so I have lots of areas to trim out, jambs, inside top of fenders, trunk, cowl etc.

My plans for the car have changed from a very detailed restoration, to more of a very nice driver. Long story, but I'm no longer that concerned with squeaking out the last bit of resale value at some future date because I probably won't be selling it.

A couple of years ago I repainted the big snow thrower for my tractor, used a PPG epoxy primer ... I just blasted, solvent wiped and shot it epoxy, then in enamel. Have now noticed in abused area it will take the top coat off but the primer is still there ... and by abuse I mean running into things with it, so no fault of the top coat.

As always, thanks much for the advice.

PS. Is pure alcohol ever used as a waterborne cleaner? I know it's very often used as a pre cleaner for many types of adhesives.

Last edited by dataway; 04-19-2021 at 12:59 PM.