View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...It runs...harder than the '69 428 that was in it when I got it in '82."

NOTE: This is NOT in any way a put down, or a criticism, therefore should NOT be taken as such ! The poster was simply expressing his evaluation of the comparison of the 2 motors that were in his car.

But, that statement reminds me of TV ads that say a certain product is "best selling", or a "best seller", or "biggest seller, "or a "top seller". Well, does that mean it's better than all competitive products, or has sold more units than any competitive product, or does it mean that it is AMONG the best or has sold ALMOST as many as the competitors.

Or maybe a new movie is coming out, & the TV ads for it really play it up, saying that it's the biggest movie of the year, or the best movie of the year, or some other description that can't really be proven, since it hasn't even been released to the movie goers. They will decide which movies they like & don't like.

In my own experience, I've noticed that a LOT of guys have bragged to me about how great their particular car was & maybe how much power their engine had, etc. You know, the habitual bragger. It seems they think it's better, just because it's their's. Their attitude sometimes seems to be: "Everything I have is better than the stuff that others around me have." Most all of us have known & probably do know people like that.

Anyhow, back to the 389 vs 428 comparison. I have no doubt that the poster was giving us his honest opinion of HIS 2 engines.

Now, just for kicks, lets compare a 389 to a 428, NOT his 2 engines, but a 389 & a 428 BOTH built CORRECTLY for the same car, & for the same purpose.

Here are some comparisons I'd expect.

(1) At 2000 to 3500 rpm, the 428 will(should) have a lot more torque. This is probably the rpm range that most engines will see most often, for around town street cruising.

(2) Due to the extra low rpm torque, less overall final gear ratio should be needed, to maintain hwy speeds, therefore the engine can run at lower rpm while cruising.

(3) And, for those times when the owner wanted to get spunky, it should be no problem at all to build a relatively mild 428 up to at least 400hp, at probably no more than 5500 rpm.

I suppose it's real similar to how so many Pontiac guys recommend NOT building a 350, but recommend goin with more cubes. You know: "Bigger is better". It's just a fact. More cubes & stroke have certain advantages.

Can you build a good 350 or 389 ? Certainly. But, for several reasons, I recommend a longer stroke & more cubes.

This is NOT taking any core costs or costs to build into account. AND, it's just my own thoughts & personal opinion.

As always, opinions differ !
The 428 was a '69 360 HP with small valve heads, cast pistons, and too small a camshaft. Came in the car. The 389 is balanced and blueprinted with peened and polished rods (no China aftermarkets available when I built it in 1981) and fitted with a nice Sig Erson cam and valve springs. So the 428 was a low performance backyard rebuild and the 389 was a $2500 rebuild, which was a lot of coin 40 years ago. Drove this very engine today and changed the oil and it still runs great with 50k miles on it....although it's now starting to seep oil out of the cork gaskets. Valve covers have not been off this engine since 1981, and it powered my '66 GTO for 7 years, driving all over the country. Only downside is I used flat forged pistons, and with the cleaned up 77 heads at about 62cc, it needs race gas to run with optimal timing these days.