Thread: WIW 70 Formula
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
To my surprise, the partial vin stamp on the M20 confirms that it's original to the car.
I more or less guessed this.

As it might not be a surprise to some here, my all time favorite car is the '70 Formula;
In my dealings, one in particular, I picked up information relative to what went on in the past;
This one '70 Formula that I was paramount in the sale of, the owner related to me getting his car's engine rebuild in the very early 1980's, and having some headache in the insistance of rebuilding his car's original motor - it seems to have been common practice to swap engines for a correct one when something went awry - assuming that the machine shop had a rebuild core on hand...
Transmissions on the other hand seem to generally only get "misplaced" from their original car when someone grenades it, or it get's "upgraded";
EG:
M13 -> M20/M21/M22
M20 -> M21/M22
M21 -> M22

Quote:
And my drive yesterday confirms that it works quite well. Although my plans do not involve using it, I'd feel bad letting it go...and it would make a nice spare for my TA...that said, everything has a price send me a PM if you want to make me an offer.
This is understandable.
The oly way that I would pay a bit extra, or go out of my way to buy an M20, is if it was from a '70 Firebird...

I did buy last fall a hodge-podge M20, that I believe is a 1969 unit - but it has had one or two of the ears welded, and I believe the tail housing was swapped... but it leaks a little, and although it looks good, I would feel best rebuiling it (might even buy a supercase and an upgraded midplate) ~ so I do have one, but I'm not totally inseperable from it (I have no doubt, considering the price I got it at, that I would be able to recoup my $$ as-is).

If at some point you reconsider, keep me in mind.

Quote:
I'd be willing to pick up a shirt for your collection...just give me your size and I'll send one your way...
Nahh, thanks for the offer - I kinda have to physically pick one up for it to be legit in my books

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)