View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, haven't posted on this thread for a while. Had a few setbacks on the '80 Bracket Bird project. But, still hope to get it to the track some time this year.

Anyhow, I got an Email notice that I could pull up old newspaper articles this whole weekend, for free. So, I pulled up the drag races that took place on the front stretch of the circle track at the Louisiana State Fair Grounds, in the Spring of 1978.

It was a VERY unique drag racing facility. Far different from any others we raced at. Saw it posted that the total distance of the races was 420 feet. But, in dial-your-own bracket racing, the distance don't matter. Still have to cut good lights & run consistent ET's, to win.

Anyhow, the 1st pic below is the point standings, after only a couple of races. TJ already had a win there. I hadn't scored, yet. There was not a big turnout there. The promoter tried a last ditch effort, to make some money at that track, by advertising a big 18-wheeler race. Put it in all the area papers, and probably some truck stops & trucking papers. I think is was supposed to pay $2000 to the winner, IF there were 400 trucks entered. Well, it was a big flop. I think a few trucks showed up. TJ & I are real fuzzy on that truck race. Anyhow, after that, the guy gave up on racing at that track.

I am real sorry that we did not take a single pic at any of those races. Contacted a few that were there, but haven't found anybody with a single pic. Those were just some real special races, that I wish we had pics of. I suppose we were the only group that ever did any organized drag racing on that circle track, after it was paved. I did read where they had some drags there, back when it was still a dirt track.

The 2nd pic is of the early point standings at another track, which the same guy ran. I had already had some wins there.

The next 2 pics, I'm sure I've already posted. But, they are the final points standing for the year. One thing about the Haynesville track, is that we didn't go to all the races there. Sometimes, we stopped at the Hallsville, TX track instead. Anyhow, we went to the div 4 bracket finals race that year, from the Haynesville track.

And, as I'm sure I mentioned, somewhere back in this thread, we decided to leave the finals race, because of so many cars, so few time trials, & not being use to running that track. Came back the the track in Tyler, TX, & got winner & RU. That was MUCH more fun than staying at the Green Valley race would have been !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shreveport.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	532084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haynesville.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	532085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shreveport pts standings 1978.jpg
Views:	383