lighter car
lighter engine
better heads
first year for the high rise tripower intake
lighter block
no chamfers in the block, so higher compression
only year you got an m20 with 3.90 gears, so It's monster off the line
better color choices as they are more like the late 50's and early sixties cars
better interiors with better color choices, red cars with white interiors got red dash uppers and steering wheels, interiors got fun head liners colors, they were not boring
Engine tuned dash, Poor gauges, but cool dash.
Horizontal head lights
Sweet hood, I know it's not functional but so was the majority of these cars and even the functional ones had very very limited benefit
This year is filled with one offs and odd ball options and features, such as the remote mirror on the fender, odd ball map light, dash emblem, no GTO emblems on the door panels, no Hurst logo on the shifter
It is a sleeper

I have a 65, an 04 and have had a 66, 67 and even a 69, but the best is the 64
That's a good post and some good information. I'm always learning in the Pontiac passion.

Was the 1964 a lighter car? I'm not sure but that makes a difference in handling and performance.

Better heads, I'm not sure about that either. The 77 1965 heads were good for their period but of course, nearly every year had improvements till the early 1070's.

Compression between 1964 and 1965 had to be close when physically measured, but I only know 1965 and 70cc seems to be is the number.

M-20 with 3:90 ratio is a solid performance advantage IMHO.

The 1964 colors had a bit more variety, I agree on the interior appointments too. Great dashboard and too.

My father, who was 26 years old then, said that when the 1964 GTO came out the car was so beautiful that it stopped traffic. (N.Y. City)

He sometimes likes to remind me of a lady who owned a "hair salon" and bought one new in burgundy, with spinner caps and a 4-speed was the ultimate showpiece. Sixty years later you can still sense the enthusiasm and excitement of when the 1964 hit the streets when he describes it.