View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was never engineering master Quadrajets for ever application. FACT. divorce choke machine test carbs didn't get a choke plate as the testing was for flow and jetting.

Back in 82 I knew a AC DELCO outlet manager well. One day we go to their giant old brick parts warehouse. In the thick layers of Dust we arrived on the 4th floor on a old open rickety elevator. Ac parts going back pre war were all over the place on one end. The other 1/2 was old shelving, Covered in boxes of Carbs. I only had a small list of carbs with me. This place verified what I had found working at a Pontiac dealership. There were brand new Q-Jets from 67 to around 76. Newer ones were in small branch stores for faster sale. Some of these new carbs looked as nice as the ones this " master carb " guy sells. Some had box stickers showing Additional Numbers these could be used on.
Other carbs were factory rochester rebuilds which had stickers too some on the carb covering the stamped number, some had the rebuild number rings installed on the bowl section. These were never as " gold" as they didn't used pre plated parts much on rebuilds. Many of the cores for rebuilds came from warranty AND the unfinished car lots.
Cliffs book will tell you all you need to know for what this guy does.
To think you are buying something that was on a stand, or in a glass case, to use on your car is just a fantasy.
I bought 8 carbs that day for 20 bucks each ( its 1982)
There was probably 250 more, mostly chevy and Pontiac.
I am sure by the late 90's these were wholesaled out and written off. I don't have any left... but some went on Nice Pontiacs.
So if it seems to good to be true......