View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Chief

Thunder,

There are several skip shift eliminators out there, and prices vary. The SLP I've got on my car was given to me as a gift. But the RKSport skip shift eliminator is a more compact package and it's less expensive. Whatever the shape or brand they all do the same thing...something you could actually do yourself for less than $1.50. It's a 2.2Kohm .5W resistor across the plug that goes to the CAGS solenoid on the tranny. When the PCM senses conditions that trigger the 1-4 shift, it sees the load and thinks the solenoid is still connected. You will still get the 1-4 light on the dash, but the gates to 2nd and 3rd gears will no longer be locked out. The only reason most people go with a "store-bought" version is they look more professional than a resistor taped across the end of a cable.

As for a shifter, here's a nice thread on the B&M Short Throw Shifter. I've still got the stock shifter myself, but when I do upgrade I'll be getting one of these. This one keeps the stock shifter height, but the throws are shorter and cleaner. Many of the other short-throws I've seen pictures of are actually shorter sticks too. So if you retain the stock stitched leather boot the shifter looks like a bag lady's leg with her hose all bunched up.