View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Did you take the box out and move it over with the rag joint installed? And the wheel is exactly 90 degrees out?

The end of the steering shaft has a 4-way collar on it, 2 of the slots are for the shouldered bolts, the other 2 are for the studs. That's the only place it can go a full 90 degrees out, during assembly of the shaft to the rag joint.

I seriously doubt the tie rods have enough adjustment to get the wheel a full 90 degrees out. One end would have a ton of threads showing, and the opposite side would have the other rod showing the same difference of exposed threads.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can see how I'm thinking.

Did the new car have a box on it when you got it? was it hooked up? Was the steering wheel 90 out then?

EDIT: Can you snap a pic of the shaft where the joint meets it?

Yes, we swapped boxes with the rag joints on them. The original power steering set-up is now on the Lemans and it indexed perfectly, but not on the Tempest. I can't honestly say the steering wheel was lined up on the Tempest when we got it because we never drove it and only pushed it around from garage to garage and didn't pay attention to the wheel when the tires were perfectly straight. I wouldn't be surprised of the tie rod ends are way out of wack on the center link from the way we found other details with the car, but we'll figure it out. We noticed it when we finally got a chance to drive the car at the end of a long day and just put it away. Remember the manual box has 6 1/2 turns lock to lock so the tires don't turn much with 90 degrees turns of the steering wheel rotation. The fixed pins in the coupling are 180 degrees apart and 90 degrees to the bolts, so the coupling and rag joint collar can only 'mate' at 180 degree rotations. I wonder if we take the coupling off the box and re-index it a spline or two when wheels and steering wheel are straight.

I wouldn't trust the manual box picture because we were turning the wheels quite a bit and they probably weren't perfectly straight.

I appreciate your help HWYSTR455!

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bye Bye Power Steering.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	545536   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Manual Box 1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	545537