Old 03-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 tire pressure labels

I know most of you look at the 68-69 GTO tech posts, but in case you don't...Look at this post I started. Kinda surprised I haven't gotten some response. Does anyones 69 have one of these labels?? Like I said in the other post, the assembly manual showed them to be initially used..but maybe that changed. Thanks Jeff
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=469553

Old 03-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the 69 GTO is the least decaled car

Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had 3 69 GTO's, 2 originals, never saw one (neither on door jamb or glove compartement door).

Old 03-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I never saw one on any 69"s. as Sweetjudge mentioned, there are virtually mo decals on the 69's. The blue GM door jamb sticker with the vin also WAS NOT on a 69 GTO. Even though many people still swear it was.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

Mine has a pressure decal at the top of drivers door (above latch) with a KD code in the top right corner. Mine is a July of 69 Judge built in Pontiac. I will try to get a picture on for you after while.

69' Judge R/A III 4-speed, Mayfair Maize/black interior.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt a '69 Judge GTO the most decal laden up to that date of any previous pontiac. Don't forget the side stripes and judge decals...DW

Old 03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ruffjudge, yes, that'd be great to see a picture of that

Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as far as Exterior decals Yest the 69 is flamboyant with it, but all the other decals, door jamb emission & such didnt come on the 69

Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv
Ruffjudge, yes, that'd be great to see a picture of that
Took a picture of it this afternoon and am trying to get it uploaded in here
but might have to wait until my wife get's home. I am not a expert at this computer crap yet!

Dennis...

Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure my '69 Judge has a tire pressure decal inside the glove box door, if I remember correctly. I'll have to check that when I get home. Mine was built at Arlington in April '69.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Chief

Mine does not have any of the other decal's anywhere either. Just this one. Did they put the emissions decal under the hood on the radiator support on the '69's? I have known my car since 1977 and know nothing has been messed with on the rest of the car except my buddy did paint under the hood when putting an engine in it. I don't remember if that decal was there before or not. Would they put this tire pressure decal on it at the dealer? I can't imagine a owner doing it themselves.

Dennis...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	45088  

Old 03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

possibly done by dealer, but it didn't leave the factory that way.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ruffjudge, that is too cool. Taximan, why do you say that wasn't from the factory? I'm curious as to your insight in this. That's the same shape that they showed in the assembly manual if I recall (at work now) The 68's were round and went in the drink cup shaped holder on the glove box door and the 70's were the blue ones with the vin on them that went on the door jamb like above. I can't believe that a dealer would put those on. That would mean the factory produced the labels, but didn't put them on the cars themselves, but issued them as a part that the dealers could put on cars...?? That doesn't sound right. And Ruffjudge, there has been discussion over the 69 emission labels that were supposed to (according to the assembly manual again) go on the core support, but no one has had a car with one or if they did, there is no hard evidence (ie picture) of one like you just provided. I'm glad I started this thread now. Jeff

Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The issue of decals on 69 GTO's is one of the most researched topics around. Sources of this information are: many original GTO's, Eric White documentation, Paul Zazaraine, John Sawruk, Scott Tiemann, and many other judges and historians.

For varying reasons, depending on what version you believe, these cars were almost entirely built without decals. This includes tire pressure, GM "blue label" door stickers, radiator warnings, posi labels, etc. The only known "non part number" decal is the jacking instructions in the trunk.

This is not just my opinion. People on this forum like BVZ, gtohurstjudge, SWEETJUDGE, Steve, gtoric, etc. will echo this.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Taximan, I have no doubt there has been much discussion/research on this. I started this (and the thread in the 68-69 area) to see if anyone knew why it was called out in the assembly manual but not used (sounds like it occurred quite often). I was perfectly happy to go with the accepted ideas that none were ever used, but now, how can anyone dispute ruffjudges picture? It certainly appears original and the jamb doesn't appear to have a re-paint. Hopefully the other members you mentioned will check it out as well. Doesn't it at least peak your curiousity? I'd certainly need more than accepted theories before I call his a fake or some added later decal. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think it deserves further query before dismissing it. Jeff

Old 03-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ruffjudge, do you have the original broadcast sheet for your car? I'm certainly not the expert in this field either, but I believe on the broadcast sheet it lists the specific decal codes used on the car (in your case, it would have KD on there somewhere). I don't have either build sheet or broadcast sheet (they are two different things, right?) on my car, so I can't confirm that.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv
Ruffjudge, do you have the original broadcast sheet for your car? I'm certainly not the expert in this field either, but I believe on the broadcast sheet it lists the specific decal codes used on the car (in your case, it would have KD on there somewhere). I don't have either build sheet or broadcast sheet (they are two different things, right?) on my car, so I can't confirm that.
I'm not sure what you mean by the broadcast sheet? If it is the build sheet, I think I found mine, but unfortunatly my car had a mouse living there for awhile and there wasn't a piece ant bigger than a dime anywhere. I have completely disassembled the car and have not found anything else anywhere. Was really hoping to have one on top of the gas tank when I pulled it but no luck. I do have PHS envelope with everything in there, would it be in with some of that stuff?

Yea, I agree mine didn't have the blue GM tag on the door either, or the reflective GM metal tag's. Of course I learned this stuff after I purchased mine for the restoration(anyone need them, I could send them to you?). The only place on my car that look's like it was repainted was the outside of the rt. front fender and door, but the jamb's and stuff look untouched. Like I said earlier my buddy painted the black under the hood before installing the engine. Don't mean to stir the pot, just showing what I found on mine. Looking foreward to any other input anyone has. Dennis...

Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ruffjudge, you're not the one stirring the pot. That'd be me! I think your label definately proves that more needs to be learned about these. And yes, my bad, build sheets and broadcast sheets are one and the same. I could have sworn I saw a picture of one posted where one of the columns was DECAL or close to it. Again, I may be off base and it might have nothing to do with the Tire Pressure Decal, but I would think for the guys on the assembly line would need a column on the build sheet to show them what decal to apply to the door or trunk lid, etc. Here is a copy of the sheet in the assembly manual listing the different tire pressure labels and their codes and part #'s. You'll notice the KD code and 9798350 part # listed for a 69 8 cylinder Tempest/LeMans/Gto except for station wagons and 276 (grand prix) is exactly what is on your label. I want to hear from others on what they make of your label. Thanks again Dennis, Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	45238  

Old 03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The decal on Ruff Judges car is legit....I have seen it once before......extremely
rare......this decal was probably installed for a short time at just one of the assembly plants. I would guess 98 per cent of 69 GTO's did not have this decal. There were
also an extremely small number of 69's with an emission decal on the radiator support
again just a fraction had this. My car had no decals of any sort under the hood other
than the A/C compressor decal and Harrison decal on the evaporator box. It had no
decals in the door jamb area or inside the glove box As stated
earlier, the 68 had the tire pressure decal on the glove box door and it was round.
All the 68's I have seen had the tire pressure decal.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Senior Chief

Thank's HURSTJUDGE, I couldn't imagine anyone would add that later. As I stated before it was built in July at Pontiac MI plant,if that helps. I am going through my teardown photo's to see if I got a good picture of the radiator support. Like I said, my friend painted it before we put an engine in it, but it seem's like it had a rough square spotright of center(like he peeled off sticker but didn't clean the glue up very well?). Unfortunatly I have already blasted and self etching primered it. Wish I would have known this was going to be an issue last summer. Or would that have been a different plant the emission sticker got added at?

Thank's for everyone's input and looking foreward to more! Dennis...