Old 06-14-2024, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody relocate their side mirrors from the front fender to on the door?

I guess they look kinda cool, but from a function perspective I really hate the side mirrors mounted on the front fenders. One unless they are remote, which most arent, you cant easily adjust them. And in that location even when they are adjusted decently I still feel like they don't function as well that far away from me.

Im going to re-spray my 62 wagon and have to do a little body work anyway so Im thinking about mounting a driver side mirror on the door like they are on all the mid 60s and up cars. Am I crazy? Has anyone else done this?

While it may not be correct I feel like its one of those things that hardly anybody would pick out anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-14-2024, 11:40 PM

My dad moved the mirror on the '63 to the door, ans got a pair of plastic "sport" mirrors, to boot. They looked hideous, so one of the first things I did back in the '70's was remove them and get a remote mirror for my fender.

I've seen the optional (though very rare) right side remote mirror, and I don't like it. Not that I'm not more comfortable driving with two mirrors these days, but the car just looks too symmetrical.

Just some random thoughts on the subject.

Enjoy.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 06-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with your dislike for the fender mount. Remote adjustable or not. I don't feel they do the job that far away.

My 61 had the remote fender mount which was removed due to some incident I no nothing about. The fender has been replaced and has no evidence of mounting holes. Precious owner had put on some mid70s painted bullet shaped, with driver side that was supposed to be remote but wasn't and just kind of flopped around. Certainly had to go and didn't look correct on a 61 anyway. I bought what Ames was offering as a nearly stock looking chrome style. I added a stick on convex mirror to passenger side. Looks about right and are more or less usable. Nothing as good as some of the stuff put on new cars and definitely no backup camera. But it's an old driver intended to enjoy and even got me a top 10 at the last show and nobody complained that the mirrors were not correct.

Old 06-15-2024, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually have a functional remote mirror on my parts car. I’m considering putting that one on the good car. But I’m also just considering putting the correct looking mirror up on the door.

I agree I wouldn’t put an unsightly plastic one on. But I feel like if I just took a normal 62 mirror, but a new gasket and install it below the vent window nobody will blink. I guess I could also put the remote mirror on the door but that seems a waste

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-15-2024, 01:09 PM

I have a NOS remote mirror for my '56 Safari. The mirror mounts on the door. It's neat, in that there are no cables; there is a rod which goes through the door to the control, which slides fore and aft for in/out and rotates for up/down. Pretty cool looking. The knob is this big (1 1/2") chrome job.

I understand the thinking behind moving the mirror(s) closer. It's a matter of personal preference.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 06-15-2024, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 62 GP has the mirrors on the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962 8 lugs.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	635390  

Old 06-15-2024, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I would not move the fender mounted mirrors to the doors. The door mounted ones are not the same. I do think the door mounted ones look much better.

Old 06-15-2024, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I would not move the fender mounted mirrors to the doors. The door mounted ones are not the same. I do think the door mounted ones look much better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/315351451842

(trouble posting again, hence the duplication, sorry)