The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-14-2024, 02:26 PM

Default Spacers on Convertible Top

I have a 64 Lemans Convertible that the top will be reinstalled soon. The shop manual shows spacers that go between the rear lower tack rail and the body. (In the rear of the top well). This I assume would create a space between the strip and the body to allow water to drain through. Mine didn't have any on disassembly and I don't see anything listed by vendors. I did see a set of about 1/4 inch rubber spacers like this on Ebay for B body convertibles. Does anyone have any knowledge on these? Should I try to track something like these down or just not worry about it.

Old 09-15-2024, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through this a couple years ago and ended up not using any spacers.
Like yours, mine didnt have any on tear down, and the upholstery shop that installed it said they had never used spacers. I think that as long as you keep it clean and don't let leaves or debris accumulate it should be fine.
With mine, any time that I washed the car or got caught in rain, I used a leaf blower to blow all the water off the entire car before parking it in the garage.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Royal Pontiac.

70 Formula