Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-25-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Does anyone know if these ceramic coated headers are coated on the inside too or just the outside. If they are only coated on the outside they can still rust from the inside out. I have a set of Indian Adventures 1-7/8 headers that I really like and I have Flowmaster merge collectors on them too. They are in decent shape but rusted some on the inside. I'm trying to decide if I should have mine coated or buy new ones already coated.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1459705
I don't know if they're coated on the inside, but if you email Paul at RARE, I bet he could tell you. He's done ceramic coating for years, not only on the manifolds he sells, but headers as well.

Old 05-25-2024, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have my headers coated on the inside by Jet Hot and Polydyn when they are coated but the heat does take a toll on the inside especially.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-25-2024, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
I would highly doubt any coated headers are coated on the inside. BTW, those are Doug’s on Butlers website.
I just had my headers coated by Caps Coatings in Fresno CA. They are coated on both sides. But the coating on the inside is not the same that is on the outside, its more clear and designed to prevent rust.
When I got them back I was mad at first, thought they only coated the outside. Called them up and they informed me of their process.
Last year I fired the engine up and made a couple passes at the track to seat the rings. I when I pulled one off to work on the brake system I was amazed at this little 1/2 teaspoon pile of rust that came out of them.
F THAT !

I sent them off to get coated.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
You can run a full size filter with Doug's headers. The filter will go on with no problem on an automatic equipped car, but on a manual transmission car you will need to clearance the bellhousing ear on the passenger side and the filter will then go in.
Interesting on how many guys are running full size filters with a manual..........im gonna look into this clearance the bellhousing ear on mine.............i have a 66 and no way can i run the regular filter...............about how much of the ear do you have to grind away for this to fit.

Rich

Old 05-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know about a stock bellhousing but with a QuickTime and Doug’s headers I run a full size filter sometimes.

Old 05-26-2024, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Interesting on how many guys are running full size filters with a manual..........im gonna look into this clearance the bellhousing ear on mine.............i have a 66 and no way can i run the regular filter...............about how much of the ear do you have to grind away for this to fit.

Rich
About 1/2" to get the filter in there. Most of the time I take a saw to it and hack it off.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 05-26-2024, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I have my headers coated on the inside by Jet Hot and Polydyn when they are coated but the heat does take a toll on the inside especially.
Same experience here. All my jet hot coated headers are also coated on the inside.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE