Old 09-21-2024, 11:15 PM

Default Electrical problem need help please!

Hey all,
When I connect both battery cables to my battery I hear a click it sounds like it’s coming from my regulator and red on dash lights up. This is with the KEY OFF. turn the key and the car starts and runs fine. Turn key off and light stays lit on dash. So obviously I have to disconnect the battery every time I shut the engine down so as not to kill the battery. Does this sound like a bad regulator? A new one from Ames is like $100.00 I’m not an electrical guy just don’t want to throw parts at it without posting it first to get some opinions. There is a condenser attached to the regulator but if my 60 year old mind is still working that’s just for the radio??
That’s all really appreciate it
Scott

Old 09-22-2024, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

I’m not sure if I can help or not, but lets start with what year and model of car is it.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

lol 😂 Sorry about that I can’t believe I didn’t put the year and model. Do t k ow what I was thinking. It’s a 1965 GTO with a 389 auto.. sorry

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Try disconnecting the capacitor. They sometimes short - not good. This same cap is used in the distributor.

FHummel

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9605.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	640406  

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did this problem just start or has this been an ongoing issue? Has the alternator recently been replaced? The original alternator for a 1965 would have been externally regulated. Some manufacturers offer an internally regulated alternator. However, I believe the internally regulated alternators usually have a different 2-prong plug on them. There are also 1 wire internally regulated alternators that do not even need the 2-prong connector.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

I have owned the car for 15 years has the same alternator as it did the day I got it. Just started happening in the last 6 months. Nothing electrical has been changed.

Old Today, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If nothing has changed in the wiring, it sounds like one of the relays in the regulator is stuck.

George

Old Today, 10:31 AM

Thank you George I will order a regulator from Ames and let you know how I make out when it arrives.

Old Today, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a test, measure the voltage at regulator terminal 3 (black with red stripe typically) and then at terminal "F" (blue wire) And also at terminal 4. All with the key off and battery connected.

Terminal 4 should have no power with key off.

George

Old Today, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1964 View Post
Thank you George I will order a regulator from Ames and let you know how I make out when it arrives.
Nothing against Ames but you can probably save yourself some money by getting one from RockAuto or Summit Racing.