Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-23-2024, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Flywheel ring gear replacement

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm getting ready to replace the ring gear on a manual transmission flywheel. I haven't done this before. I have already removed the old one. I've read about putting the flywheel in the freezer and heating the ring gear. My question is how hot do I need to heat it? I don't have a torch to get it real hot; I was thinking I could put it in the oven. Would this get it hot enough? My only other option is a mapp gas torch, but I don't see that working very well.

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 05-23-2024, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In a garage setting, I've always used an oxy acetylene torch to heat the ring gear. I never bothered freezing the flywheel as I didn't have access to a freezer usually.

Typically I would clamp a pair of vise grips to the ring gear, and heat it by holding it in mid air. Then drop it over the flywheel, and tap it into place with a hammer.

Heating it in an oven is likely going to accomplish the same thing, you just have to work quickly before it cools. You'll want it well done........

If I didn't had access to a oxy acetylene torch, I'd try your hack. It's just going to take more time to heat up than what I'm used to. You might want to have that mapp gas torch handy in case you don't get it flush the first try. Occasionally I've had to re heat a ring gear if it cooled too much before I got it seated.

Done correctly it's a pretty seamless process, but as with all car repairs, everything doesn't always go the way you planned it 100% of the time, and having the mapp torch handy is a good idea if you need a little more heat during install.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-24-2024, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
In a garage setting, I've always used an oxy acetylene torch to heat the ring gear. I never bothered freezing the flywheel as I didn't have access to a freezer usually.

Typically I would clamp a pair of vise grips to the ring gear, and heat it by holding it in mid air. Then drop it over the flywheel, and tap it into place with a hammer.

Heating it in an oven is likely going to accomplish the same thing, you just have to work quickly before it cools. You'll want it well done........

If I didn't had access to a oxy acetylene torch, I'd try your hack. It's just going to take more time to heat up than what I'm used to. You might want to have that mapp gas torch handy in case you don't get it flush the first try. Occasionally I've had to re heat a ring gear if it cooled too much before I got it seated.

Done correctly it's a pretty seamless process, but as with all car repairs, everything doesn't always go the way you planned it 100% of the time, and having the mapp torch handy is a good idea if you need a little more heat during install.
Thanks for the input! The flywheel has been in my deep freezer for a couple of weeks, and this morning I put the ring gear in the oven at 450 degrees for 45 minutes or so, and it dropped right onto the flywheel. A few seconds later, it was tight.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
The Following User Says Thank You to importsmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Thanks for the input! The flywheel has been in my deep freezer for a couple of weeks, and this morning I put the ring gear in the oven at 450 degrees for 45 minutes or so, and it dropped right onto the flywheel. A few seconds later, it was tight.

Importsmasher

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-24-2024, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
My only other option is a mapp gas torch
No such thing as MAPP gas any more. Hasn't been made in a dozen years or so. I have about half of a bottle left. Saving it for a special occasion.

NOW, they're selling "MAP-Pro" which is deliberately misleading and deceptive. Barely hotter than plain ol' propane, but sold at a price premium in a yellow bottle as if it were something special.