Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pulley plating

I have a wp pulley,dont remember the # but it ends 808. It was silver and appears to have the bluish tint. What is it called? Silver cad,clear zinc,blue zinc.......?

I want to see about having it redone but not sure what its called.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

I think it,s just cad plated. I took one to four different platers and was told they can,t duplicate the finish. They could plate it, but it would not show the fish eyes and different colors.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM

After my last reply i watched American Restoration. A customer brought in an old hanging bank sign to be restored. Rick Dale explained he could not repair the red porclein on the sign then a footnote popped up explaining cadium was used in red and was outlawed due to causeing health problems like kidney disease and other things.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So i wonder what would be 'close' to cad plating? I guess zinc has taken its place.
This is front and back of my pulley. You can see the original plating.

Although,looking closely at the edge it looks like there is black paint there.

This isn't a 100 point car so the plating doesn't need to be exactly like original,but i would like it very close. Eastwoods 'silver cad' paint doesn't come close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repaint 2012 093.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	305269   Click image for larger version

Name:	repaint 2012 094.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	305270  

Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't give up and go zinc. There are lots of places advertising real cad plating. Here is one I found doing a quick Google search.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...ng-parkerizing

Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is another place. I'm going to contact him about some AFB parts. I'll let you what he says.

http://www.historicfinishes.com/

Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM

This has been covered in a previous post, and for more information, you may wish to conduct a search.
For 1964, I believe only two coatings were used on these pulleys. One was a black paint, and the other, a gold iridited coating. I typically have seen the 544595 XB single groove pulley done in a black painted coating. I have also seen those several pulleys lacking any stamping (both single and double groove) done in a gold iridited finish. If the pulley lacks any evidence of paint and appears to be cadmium plated, I believe it is most likely that the pulley was initially provided with a gold iridited coating. As discussed in earlier posts, cadmium is an excellent substrate, and was typically used during this period. Gold iridite was provided for an additional level of protection. Unfortunately, the gold iridite will easily and quickly fade, leaving the substrate visible. If you are seeing a cadmium finish, the pulley most likely had a gold iridite finish. If any remnants of paint remain, it should be painted.
The hub area is the best area to help determine the initial finish, as it is protected from the elements. Often you can find remnants of the gold iridite in this area when all other areas show the silver cadmium plating.

Although there has been a significant drop-off in the number of platers still doing cadmium plating, there are still quite a few still providing this service. I do not know the restrictions in each state, but I would venture a guess that most states still have facilities providing this service.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking closely there is definately black paint in the grooves and pulley edge.But no traces of gold anywhere. In an old thread it was suggested that some may have been cad plated and then painted black.

the pulley i have will going on a 65 p/s non a/c car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repaint 2012 095.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	305520  

Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are correct, some were painted black. So, at least the first two years of GTO,Cadmium,gold cad, and black paint is correct. I have seen Baltimore cars, with gold pulleys, so, it may have been a plant thingy? Larry B.