OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 07-20-2024, 09:48 AM

Default Seeking advice about Sprint/OHV6 and reliability/durability compared to V8

Hello all,

I am beginning the search for a vehicle that would make a cool daily driver (since me current 2006 vehicle with 200K is starting to show signs of its age finally and I don't want to put money into a $2K car). I want a car that will be fun to drive but nothing too crazy to get me in trouble with speed or spending too much money on parts...more on that in a second.

While I know a 67-69 350ci (or 326) Firebird would be rock solid, I have come across some Sprints that intrigued me. I had a 71 Espirit years ago and have had other GM muscle cars (and some Mopars, including a 67 RT my dad currently drives). That Coronet RT engine is completely worked and much of it has been restored and I've spent WAY TOO MUCH money on that car.

Anyways, I am in Florida, so I would need to add Air Conditioning for a DD that would be comfortable for my kids and such. It seems that OEM brackets would need to be found to do a retrofit from one of the AC vendors. Also, with lots of webpage reading it would appear that engine parts are a real issue as well as getting real quality engine/mechanical work for things I couldn't do or didn't have time to do.

I am wondering if from a reliability and maintenance standpoint, those out there who put some miles on their OHC6 engines (or have v8 cars too) could give me an honest opinion on whether I should move forward looking for a Sprint car or simply get small block equipped car to enjoy a relatively trouble free car that I can put some mileage on each week.

Thank you all in advance for any help and input!

Old 07-20-2024, 01:06 PM

Moved to the OHC-6 tech forum where the die-hard six guys will give you their somewhat biased but realistic opinions.

You run the OHC-6 six engines you love them. They’re great engines but as you know you have to deal with limited parts availability and learn their ins and outs.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2024, 01:41 PM

I’ve had two OHC cars (both 1968 LeMans, go figure). I think it really depends on what you start out with. The first one I had, had over 100k on the engine. It smoked, and needed a valve job. It always ran, but it never ran great. I pulled the head and had a valve job and seals done. It ran better, but I ended up pulling it out and installing a 350 Pontiac because I didn’t want to dump too much into a pooch.

The second OHC, one I currently own, only has about 60,000 miles on it. It was always cared for and maintained. Runs like a top and I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it across the country. It’s got plenty of power for daily driving (it’s also a 1bbl auto car, so a Sprint would be even better). There is no way I’d pull this engine out. Parts can be challenging, but you can find them. The OHC guys and gals are a pretty die hard bunch and will help if you need.

Old 07-22-2024, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picking a nearly 60 yr old car,regardless of the powertrain,for a daily family car,
is a big mistake in my opinion.
As a Sunday driver Im all in.

Old 07-22-2024, 02:04 PM

Easiest and most reliable as well as most affordable way is a stock Pontiac V8.

Let’s not think about putting a small-block in there because a smaller displacement V8 Pontiac is neither a big or small-block, they’re in between those two ‘sizes’ and all the same physical size externally.

Cheapest is a 350 V8 which although they’re a fine engine they’re not favored in comparison to their larger displacement brothers, people practically give them away unlike the common 400 and 455 engines.

I drove a near stock 455 daily in my 1964 Tempest for over 5 years and 30k miles and it was stone reliable. However you have to be aware of the braking and handling not being quite up to par with modern vehicles and adjust your driving style and overall expectations.

Old 07-22-2024, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as the oil doesn't sludge up they run fine. Sludge will starve the top end of oil and trash the cam. I don't know of a single timing belt failure, but in any case its a non-interference engine so just line the marks up and put a new belt on it if the belt is a concern.

If the engine has been neglected, it probably will be problematic.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 07-23-2024, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did have a belt failure one cold morning
Belt was old and oil soaked.Yes it was our daily family car

Old 07-23-2024, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 1969 Fbird for several years. It started as a 1 bbl car and I converted it to a 4 bbl . It made all the difference in the world. Drivability was greatly improved. If you convert don't change the cylinder head it raises the compression too much. It made a great car for fun but I would NOT recommend one for a daily driver. You can't buy even normal parts without waiting so how do you get to work tomorrow.