Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-10-2000, 11:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I was wondering if the owners of the 66-67 GTO's would tell us what brand of headres the have Installed? I am about to buy a set for my 67 and wanted to see what everyone else was using.

Thanks
Tom

Old 07-10-2000, 11:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I was wondering if the owners of the 66-67 GTO's would tell us what brand of headres the have Installed? I am about to buy a set for my 67 and wanted to see what everyone else was using.

Thanks
Tom

Old 07-13-2000, 08:25 AM

good luck getting some to fit. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-13-2000, 10:32 AM

I've got a 67 lemans convt and am running a 400 w/ 400th tranny w a hurst floor shifter, pwr steering and power brakes. I tried the 4 tube headers and found there was just too many clearence probs here there and everywhere. I bought a set of the PY blackjack headers 3 tube advertized on the PY forum and just put them on last night. The only thing I see is that I will have to heat the driver side collector and bend it away from my tranny. I had previously moved my brake distribution block from the inside rail drivers side of the frame to the top of the frame( not really a big deal to do.). All in all this is a fairly good fit.

Old 07-13-2000, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '67 GTO had headers when I bought it (4 speed car). They were jammed between the engine & frame, restricting engine movement & transmitting engine vibration to the frame. I replaced them with OEM manifolds. I have not tried any others and will not because of the previous experience.

Regards, George

Old 07-13-2000, 02:59 PM

Time for one of my legendary "stupid" questions. I keep reading the posts about headers and the problems with them fitting. Not the problems with tight clearances, Pontiac takes the blame for that by only allowing so much space, but the headers that point the wrong way and interfer with the frame, run into the transmission, control arms, etc. Why can't they make them so they work? Are they using headers made for other cars and calling them Pontiac? Are they trying to take a header made for one year/mode and selling them to fit multiple years with out checking them for fit?

Anybody got a good reason?

Ed

Old 07-24-2000, 12:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

the latest issue of high perf.pontiac has an article on installing headers on a pontiac.they seem to make it look easy.
i have an old set of hedmans on my '67 gto.
what a bear to install. i dont know if i ever want to do it again.

Old 08-05-2000, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I have Hooker Super Competition on my '67 GTO with TH400. Installation of the passenger side was without incident but I had to provide more clearance between the frame and the header by spacing the engine mount up from the frame by 1/4". The drivers side is another story. With my car I HAD to relocate the brake distribution block 5" to the rear. This turned out to be the cleanest way to do it. Next, the header was angled too far away from the pan, I had about 1" between the tubes and the starter and it was hitting the frame. Since I was pulling the engine anyway while it was apart I angle milled the exhaust flanges on the head to point the header closer to the engine. I also dented the tube somewhat to provide more header to frame clearance. With those three mods to the drivers side I got it to fit good and I still have plenty of room for my stock starter. The oil filter is easy to get to and I can use a full-length if I want to but I will stick with my System One.