Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Advice?

hey guys, haven't done this in years and I dont want to make any mistakes. I have exhaust leaks (middle ports) on both sides of my 70 Pontiac 400. It has stock D port manifolds. I have been told I should remove the manifolds and take them to a machine shop to be shaved before replacing the gaskets. This sounds good to me because I want to media blast and paint them anyway. I am concerned about breaking the exhaust bolts off. As I remember this is always a concern on this kinda job. My plan is to spray them down with PB Blaster and let them soak a few days before I try to break em loose. Any tricks or advice on this?? Also when I put them back on, anybody have the tourqe specs? and should I tighten from the middle out? I used to swear by Fel-Pro gaskets back in the day, are they still the way to go. I found some on line that have copper to seal better on irregular surfaces anybody tried these?
Thanks for any help/advise I sure can use it
Steve