Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Default 66 GTO Grill Mounting Question

OK guys, I'm ready to finish the front end assembly. My question: There are 4 rubber grommets with bushings per side. Do the top 2 stay with the valance, or with the grill mounting tab? (the top of the Valance and top of the grill each attach to the radiator support, but not to each other).

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They go behind where the header panel bolts up. Where the core support drops down and looks like a tray. You'll see what I mean when you get the grills slid in. Make sure you use something to keep from scratching your header panel.... cardboard works fine.

I can post a photo if you need it. Let me know and I take one to attach.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks Gary, a pic would be great. I know the panel mounts to the recessed locations in the support, and the grill further inward. I thought the purpose of the grommets was to keep the grill tabs from breaking?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default From the 1966 Service Manual

Page 11-6.
The grommets are an insulator. The metal sleeve is what is used to "prevent" over tightening.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 04-15-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Thanks Jeff. My question is this: In the upper mounting location(s) do the grommet/bushings go on the header panel, or on the radiator support at the grille tab location? It appears to me that the top of the grill mounts directly to the radiator support, behind the location where the header panel bolts to the support. So which one gets the grommet?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the bolts for the grill get the metal bushing, put in so the flat sits on the grill tab nut. The rubber gromet is installed in the hole the bolt goes thru. Then push the bushing up thru it for the top mounts and down thru for the bottom mounts. If not done this way you stand a very good chance of breaking the grill tab.

If you have them, use the original bolts that mount the grills. No one makes them and the bolt kits do not have them. The 1/2 head 5/16's thread bolts for the fender and fan guard with the pointed end will go in too far when you tighten them up and can possibly ruin your grills. \DO NOT use them.

I'll take a couple of photos for you tomorrow. But Jeff's assembly photo shows it too.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 08-30-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks, I think I got it now. I have the assembly manual, but never could see what I was looking for. You explained it well. I don't have the original bolts, but I am careful that the bolts don't touch the grill.

I spent a lot of time restoring my grills, they were in poor condition. I don't think the hardware was original, and don't believe there were any grommets or bushings. That's probably why they were damaged.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the bolts have pointy ends on them, just grind the points down a bit so they don't puncture the grill and come thru or crack it. I came close to doing that myself. I went out a bought the right bolts but with flat ends on em.... then painted them black.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM

I believe I have the grills correctly fastened to the panel. Any tips on order of assembly for the headlights, grill, and bumper?

Many Thanks! Houston

Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can put the headlights in first or the bumper.... doesn't really matter.

If you don't have the header panel extensions in, do that first of all.... makes it easier. The extensions go on both sides for the bottom of header panel to attach it to the fenders. But I assume you have them installed.

Can you post photos of what you have done now, then we can help you better.

Here that photo I said I'd post of the grill bolts. It's of one of the top bolts. I was wrong when I said I put the metal bushing in from the bottom. I put it in from the top and it sits on the rubber grommet. I did it this way because I didn't have the original flat nuts that slip on for the bolt. The ones I got from Home Depot are not the same as the originals and wouldn't let me install them as they're suposed to be. The bushing still sits on the nut and everything works ok. If you have all the original flat nuts, install everything as in the photo from the assembly manual Jeff posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Bolt and Bushing (Large).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	255046  

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"