Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Brake lights will not go out!

On my 90 Chevy truck I had to replace the booster and now the brake lights will not go out. The switch at the pedal checks out good and there is not any warning lights on at the dash. I was told that it could be the signal/cruise stalk switch but I don't know. Does anyone have the test sequence for testing the wiring on the stalk switch? I had this test procedure in one of my old service manuals but I can not find it, it told what positions to put the switch in and what reading at the end of the wires with a ohm meter.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the wires going to the brake switch. One should have power all the time One should not. If both have power you have a short with hot wire somewhere between the switch and the lightes.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The large stoplight switch

The large stoplight switch that clamps to the side of the brake pedal had gotten out of adjustment. I guess I must have moved it when I was unbolting the booster so once it was back in the correct position it took care of the problem. Thanks

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad we could help!