Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Blower motor Q for the old guys

The original blower motors had wire-wound field windings, at least up to the mid-60's. In later years, GM switched to permanent-magnet (PM) blower motors. Anybody remember what the max current draw of the wound-field motors was on A/C cars, at least compared to the PM units?

Been fighting what I think is high current draw in my '66 GTO. The Canadian-built PM blower motor which I installed 25 years ago draws 19A on HI speed, which is enough to melt some of the various connectors (blower relay, inline fuseholder, blower plug). Of course, old age and light oxidation don't help anything, so I replaced the relay with an NOS unit and took the connectors apart and cleaned up the terminals as best possible, and also massaged the female terminals to give a little more preload (wish humans worked that way). Anyhoo, I then replaced the blower motor with a new Chinese one that looks identical to the Canadian motor (including the armature windings) and the new one draws 22A...

Next step is to replace the A/C wire harness with all new connectors.

So, again, anyone remember what the current draw of the original wound-field motors was?
Heinrich

Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The old units used a 30 amp fuse and often melted the fuse holder. Thats when these cars were fairly new. It was recommended to replace the 30 amp fuse with two 20 amp fuses. Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
The old units used a 30 amp fuse and often melted the fuse holder. Thats when these cars were fairly new. It was recommended to replace the 30 amp fuse with two 20 amp fuses. Hope this helps.
Replaced that original inline fuse with a nice sealed ATO blade-type fuseholder from a late-model GM car a while ago. Yeah, the originals were marginal even when new.