Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief pontiac wizard View Post
Hello,
Has anyone have any experience with the powder coat on the BOP 15" reproduction
8 lug rims?
CPW
I have other issues with my 16s that aren't yet taken care of.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM

The rims I bought have been stained by NAPA rubber lube and also black Magic wheel cleaner.
When you try to clean with Turtle wax...it dulls the finish.
plus they have debris (stuff in the powder coat)
The mfg claims that rims are not show quality powder coat but commercial powder coat.
Doesn't matter......powder coat should be imperious to most anything.
I saw samples of these rims several years ago.....very nice.
Not the ones I got....8 of them .....two cars.
Comments anyone
CPW

Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Westley'e Bleche-Wite spotted mine up. I'm going to remove them and spray them with silver argent paint; the inner portion which will be seen after the wide trim rings are on.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i had trouble with the ones i got from diamond wheel who i thank makes them there were bare spots when i called he just send them back i sad what about shipping and mount and dis mount he says i should have look at them be for hand i ask when did be come you quality control guy i did get a few bucks back but had to have them re dune for my show car

Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just be glad your 8 lug centers were welded in true, which wasn't the case with 2 of mine.

I thought the worst I would end up with is a low speed wobble in the ride so I went ahead and put them on the back. What they managed to do in all of about 30 minutes is warped the shi t out of my NOS, uncut, new in box, rear 8 lugs. Well, new when I put them on the car 13 years and driven without incident since .... until these wheels.

All Bill at Diamond Racing Wheels would do (through Wade) is for me to send them back on my nickel and "Bill would have a look at them". I said BS to that and I wasn't going to have my car sitting ass up all summer waiting for him to get around to having a look at them. I went around and around with Wade on these (who is incidentally, a very nice guy) but finally had to tell him that I was going to dispute the charge on my credit card. Only then did he say that he'll get me another pair made and then I can send these back. Still waiting though.

Zero excuse for making a set of wheels like this. What's more basic than getting the 8 lug plate centered in the wheels?

http://youtu.be/uFzz1IDPOxs

http://youtu.be/HC63NlOkZDU

Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 AM

Default BOP 15" 8 Lug rims

I actually stopped at Diamond several years ago and met with the owner.
I'm getting the same story of sending back a rim for their inspection.
I had sent them high definition photo's of the quality issues.
Diamond came back with a smart A comment about not looking at the rims from
a foot away from your face.
We all run our 8 lugs without trim rings, so finish defects are very visible.
We tried to buy the rims unfinished, but was told they powder coat them all.

The cost of the rims certainly did not meet my quality expectations.
CPW

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Before I ordered I had no idea who made these for Wade and didn't ask, but should have. When I discovered the problem and then did a little research on Diamond Racing, I found other folks (not Pontiac) that had some issues like mine with their wheels. One would think that in this day and age with the technology available that the least you could do is get the 8 lug plate true in the rim. Given the weight of these wheels, they will screw up an 8 lug in short order.

And in re: your comment above

"The mfg claims that rims are not show quality powder coat but commercial powder coat."

What the hell does he think we do with these .... go off roading? Of course we want show quality powder coat. Wheels are pretty visible part of our cars.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Default BOP 15" 8 Lug rims

I agree they should be show quality....especially considering the cost!!!!
I believe the majority of Diamonds production is for racing wheels for
the circle track market.
CPW

Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Geez, can't we do better than this? Seems like someone could knock out a CAD file without a lot of trouble, then find a source for the rims.

I've seen commercial robotic welders that can almost write their name in the snow.

Has to be a way to get 100% quality on this...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
Geez, can't we do better than this? Seems like someone could knock out a CAD file without a lot of trouble, then find a source for the rims.

I've seen commercial robotic welders that can almost write their name in the snow.

Has to be a way to get 100% quality on this...
Wonder if someone such as http://www.stocktonwheel.com/ could do these? Not only does there seem to be a bunch of trouble with Diamond, the guy's got a bad attitude it seems.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Default BOP 15" 8 lug rims

Attitude is correct
As I stated before, I met him several years ago, with the same attitude
I agree a CAD file should be easy to develop.
Suggest the plates have more of a scallop design to them.
Would have to be careful not to infringe on existing design.
CPW

Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quite a while ago (years) there was an article in Rod & Custom where the centers of 8-lug wheels were machined out and then installed in different rims, chromed I think. If I recall Stockton did the work.

I had a set of 8-lugs that I was going to put on my 60, but after considering the cost, liner issues, available tire sizes and everything I decided it just wasn't worth all the hassle as much as I love the look of them. I wish someone would make a wheel that mimicks (sp?) the look and would work with both the regular drums and also disc brakes.....and fit the more modern tire sizes.....just my 2 cents.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Bent 15x8 8 Lug Wheels

I bought 4 15 inch 8 lug wheels from BOP Racing recently for my 64 GP. 2 15x8 for the rear 2 15x7 for the front. i had issues with the 2 15x8 wheels from the start. Went to have 2 new Mickey Thompson Drag Radials mounted and both wheels needed more than normal amount of weight to balance out I installed them on the car with the factory 14x6 8 lugs on the front and when I hit the brakes the car had a horrible shudder. I put the 14x6 8 lugs back on the rear and the it was fine. I called BOP talked to Wade and he had me send them back to Diamond Racing and they paid the freight. Followed up the next week and Diamond is saying the wheels got bent when they were installed on the car. I had them made with 5.25 backspacing instead of the 4.75. They said it bent when it was installed on the drum???? Long story short Diamond does not want to warranty wheels and Wade at BOP said he would pay for 1 new one if I paid for the other. I thought about it and decided to go for it. If these 2 new wheels are messed up when I get them I WILL drive out to Diamond from NJ with a wheel in each hand and it wont be pleasant. Its a shame but I wanted to keep the wheels uniform and made by the same company. I had no problem with the front 2 wheels. They are 15x7 with the standard 4 3/4 backspacing. As far as the Powder Coating some did peel off when I tightened the lug nuts but that was really nothing compared to the out of round wheel issue. I hope everything works out

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gp4spd View Post
I bought 4 15 inch 8 lug wheels from BOP Racing recently for my 64 GP. 2 15x8 for the rear 2 15x7 for the front. i had issues with the 2 15x8 wheels from the start. Went to have 2 new Mickey Thompson Drag Radials mounted and both wheels needed more than normal amount of weight to balance out I installed them on the car with the factory 14x6 8 lugs on the front and when I hit the brakes the car had a horrible shudder. I put the 14x6 8 lugs back on the rear and the it was fine. I called BOP talked to Wade and he had me send them back to Diamond Racing and they paid the freight. Followed up the next week and Diamond is saying the wheels got bent when they were installed on the car. I had them made with 5.25 backspacing instead of the 4.75. They said it bent when it was installed on the drum???? Long story short Diamond does not want to warranty wheels and Wade at BOP said he would pay for 1 new one if I paid for the other. I thought about it and decided to go for it. If these 2 new wheels are messed up when I get them I WILL drive out to Diamond from NJ with a wheel in each hand and it wont be pleasant. Its a shame but I wanted to keep the wheels uniform and made by the same company. I had no problem with the front 2 wheels. They are 15x7 with the standard 4 3/4 backspacing. As far as the Powder Coating some did peel off when I tightened the lug nuts but that was really nothing compared to the out of round wheel issue. I hope everything works out
"Followed up the next week and Diamond is saying the wheels got bent when they were installed on the car."

This is exactly what I was afraid of. This is why I want my replacement wheels first and then I'll send these back.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
Quite a while ago (years) there was an article in Rod & Custom where the centers of 8-lug wheels were machined out and then installed in different rims, chromed I think. If I recall Stockton did the work.

I had a set of 8-lugs that I was going to put on my 60, but after considering the cost, liner issues, available tire sizes and everything I decided it just wasn't worth all the hassle as much as I love the look of them. I wish someone would make a wheel that mimicks (sp?) the look and would work with both the regular drums and also disc brakes.....and fit the more modern tire sizes.....just my 2 cents.
And yes, Stockton Wheels did these at one point. That's who I thought Wade was probably getting these from if not making them himself.

Anyway, we obviously have a problem here with BOP and Diamond.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 AM

Default BOP 15" 8 Lug Rims

When I first saw the rims several years ago, they were very nice.
Now knowing that Stockton also made the Rims explains a lot

BOP Engr (Wade) has always been an outstanding supplier of well designed quality
parts (I make reference to their one piece pan gasket / rear main seal etc)
The quality issues with the rims will hurt BOP's creditability, and the sad part is
I'm not sure BOP recognizes the impact.
I'm fairly certain Wade does not view this forum........should he?
CPW

Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief pontiac wizard View Post
When I first saw the rims several years ago, they were very nice.
Now knowing that Stockton also made the Rims explains a lot

BOP Engr (Wade) has always been an outstanding supplier of well designed quality
parts (I make reference to their one piece pan gasket / rear main seal etc)
The quality issues with the rims will hurt BOP's creditability, and the sad part is
I'm not sure BOP recognizes the impact.
I'm fairly certain Wade does not view this forum........should he?
CPW
I just emailed Wade again asking where my replacement wheels are.

He needs to do whatever he needs to do to get a quality product out. Maybe he should be talking to Stockton Wheel. I know Wade had a good reputation for producing quality, really hard to get parts. That's why I didn't question him much when I ordered these. With most vendors I would have done a little research, and in this case, would have found plenty about Diamond Racing. I have spent $2,400 in this between tires and wheels plus whatever I'm going to have to spend to replace the rear drums.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hello all,

Yes I view this forum. We have been supplying these wheels for years with very few issues. In the last several months we have had several issues, some have been customer caused, some have not. I have done what I can to resolve these issues and have been threatened with credit card disputes, etc. I am in the process of replacing wheels for 61-389-348 but have no control; over the time line as I am at Diamonds mercy form a production standpoint. Couple all this with that they have been having supplier issues and the gentleman in question at Diamond just lost his mother, it is a trying situation.
With respect to the finish issue I have asked Chief Pontiac Wizard to return one of the 8 wheels so I can present it to Diamond and try to get resolution, he has not done so. I also offered to relinquish all of my profit on that sale and/or return the wheels for full credit, which he also declined. With that said, he is currently evaluating finish options and has kept me posted via email. We are a small business doing what I can to resolve this situation. Our products have been made to and supported to the highest standards for 15 years. We reinvest much of our earnings into developing new products for these cars because we love them. These situations will be resolved to the customer’s satisfaction. At that point we will re-evaluate our supplier and make the appropriate changes. In the meantime I ask you to be patient as we try to resolve these issues.

www.bopengineering.com
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Congdon View Post
Hello all,

Yes I view this forum. We have been supplying these wheels for years with very few issues. In the last several months we have had several issues, some have been customer caused, some have not. I have done what I can to resolve these issues and have been threatened with credit card disputes, etc. I am in the process of replacing wheels for 61-389-348 but have no control; over the time line as I am at Diamonds mercy form a production standpoint. Couple all this with that they have been having supplier issues and the gentleman in question at Diamond just lost his mother, it is a trying situation.
With respect to the finish issue I have asked Chief Pontiac Wizard to return one of the 8 wheels so I can present it to Diamond and try to get resolution, he has not done so. I also offered to relinquish all of my profit on that sale and/or return the wheels for full credit, which he also declined. With that said, he is currently evaluating finish options and has kept me posted via email. We are a small business doing what I can to resolve this situation. Our products have been made to and supported to the highest standards for 15 years. We reinvest much of our earnings into developing new products for these cars because we love them. These situations will be resolved to the customer’s satisfaction. At that point we will re-evaluate our supplier and make the appropriate changes. In the meantime I ask you to be patient as we try to resolve these issues.
Wade, Have you talked to Stockton Wheels? I know they did similar at one time, but if I recall correctly, needed donor wheels to get the 8 lug plate out of.