Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM

Default 69 GTO Fuel Pump Recomendation

Have a 69 GTO with 3 line fuel pump (vapor return line) that has failed after 11 years 36,000 miles (Carter m4885). Have been reading on here about a lot of early failures with pumps available today (Carter M4885 and Airtex40679). What are you guys using and recomending and/or is there a replacement brand pump out there that I'm not aware of, that's better, other than above listed Carter and Airtex? (Not interested in doing away with vapor/return line or going electric).thanks for recomendations.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Honestly I'm not thrilled with the quality of todays mechanical pumps.

I've had 2 carters from Napa recently, the first one lasted about 5 minutes in the driveway, took that back. The 2nd one didn't even get me out of the neighborhood about 10 miles and I had to tow the car back. After I came back in with that one the guy at the counter just said, "I'll just give you your money back" LOL

The only luck I've had with stock pumps is genuine AC Delco and those are non existent now. Ironically people will tell you that ethanol fuels will eat those up and to only buy newer made pumps from Carter, Airtex etc.. but that just hasn't been the case with mine. The AC pump on my bird has been going strong 25 years now and nearly 100k miles, and I bought an NOS AC pump for my Z that has been daily driven for the last 5 years and over 40k miles and it's been flawless.

The only mechanical pumps I feel good about buying these days are a Robb MC pump. Doesn't look stock, but they come with vapor return line and they are also rebuildable, and his kits to refresh them are only $25. I carry a spare in the trunk.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 04-26-2021, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After going through my fuel issue I have for sure been converted to the in tank electric camp. That said Ill second Robb MC. Ive used his pumps and still use his regulator. Top notch American small business. He even has reasonable repair rates if you need to send one of his products back after long use. When you call or email in you talk to him in person.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^ Yes totally agree. Dealing with Robb has been fantastic. Dad has had a couple of his starters that failed and Robb has stood behind them every time. Great guy to deal with and I'll be buying more from him in the future as well.

The fuel pumps aren't exactly cheap, but.....I like the rebuildable aspect of them making them an easy repair on the road side if one ever failed.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: