Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Default 76 Trans Am, what to do

Hey guys, new here but it seems to me that you guys can point me in the right direction. I got a 76 Trans Am on a trade a few years ago and it's really just been sitting in my garage and im not sure what way to go with it. It's an original black car, black interior, none t-top but some idiot cut the roof and installed a sun roof! It's a 455, 4 speed car but the originals are long gone and it has a 400 and a 3 speed manual in it at the moment. It's an A/C car but manual windows. Floors are rusty and it's got some behind the rear wheels but other then that, the car is solid. I've been told the car is rare...is this true? I have a t56 I want to put in it and build more of a pro- touring car but if it is something rare, would I be better off selling it to someone who would appreciate it more for what it

Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the PY forum !

Build it with a 400 block stroker, with 6X heads, a good Muncie 4-speed, burn rubber & have fun ! OR sell it to someone who will.

That's my 2¢ worth !

Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1976 was last year for the 455 engine. (all manual tranny)

There were 7,099 455 TA's produced.
If it is a Y81 TA, there were 319 455 TA's produced.

Have the PHS for it?
It could provide a lot of info.

Should be a good looking TA.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 AM

If you are not the biggest fan of the T/A and would like something else better I say go ahead and sell it to someone that would appreciate it. Especially if it is a 50th.
I always loved them myself.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

My second favorite car of all time. I picked up a 455 last fall with minimal rust. Having a full resto over the winter, hope to be driving her by May. We confirmed all matching drivetrain, down to the carb. Original black on black. These are nice cars!!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A addict View Post
If you are not the biggest fan of the T/A and would like something else better I say go ahead and sell it to someone that would appreciate it. Especially if it is a 50th.
I always loved them myself.
This, however if you love all old cars then maybe you will be a Trans Am convert. They are easy to fall in love with There is plenty of support and parts available for that car so theyre pretty easy to restore. Sounds like youre on the upside financially at this point. Should be a pretty easy car to sell as is if that's the way you want to go. 1976 was an anniversary year for Pontiac and they had a special edition trans am. It was the first model of the black and gold "bandit car". IF, this is one it is def worth more than the run of the mill 76 cars. BUT, without matching drivetrain it will not be "high dollar car". There is a service called PHS, if you send them the s/n they will give you a firm description of exactly what the car is.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the original drivetrain is gone, do what you like. Mild to wild 455 with a Tremec and keep the air. Try to keep it Pontiac IMO. The LS swap is hard to beat but plenty of Camaros for that.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should feel free to do what you like, but sounds like the perfect base for a mild pro-touring type of ride.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the help guys, now I can proceed without feeling guilty about it! The original plan was for an LS swap but it seems that everyone is going that way and it's kinda played out. I'm going to stay with the Pontiac power plant, I've been eye balling the Len Williams engines, anybody have any experience with them? I'm about to send in for the PHS report and see the cars original options, it has the original decals on it, I believe. Is this orange?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15496781791452801352521092819437.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	505077  

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 PM

The bird is sun backed and just about gone and that pic doesn't really get the true color of it

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the 400 with the T56 is an awesome idea. May need to change the rear gear.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 PM

400/T56 is on my to do list Great idea indeed.