Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM

I have a "P" type 3.23 non-posi rear. I recently purchased a "P" type posi carrier unit from a car with 2.93 gears. My understanding is that the carrier for a 2.93 (mid-series) and 3.23 (low series) "P" type rear differs in where the ring gear mounting flange is positioned (which is necessary to accomodate the diffently sized pinion gears). However, I believe I CAN use the mid-series carrier with my low-series ring-gear IF I use a ring gear spacer orignally designed for a 12-bolt Chevy application.

Okay, all that out of the way, HERE is my question: Is the thickness of the Chevy ring gear I want to use (Mr. Gasket #902A), which is .310 inches, precisely the same as the distance I need to move the ring gear (ie closer to the pinion gear)?

Sorry for being wordy, and if I got any of the vocabulary wrong...I am on a steep learning curve! I would add, finally, that my car is street driven, not raced, so I am not terribly concerned about any reduced strengh associated with using longer ring gear bolts. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM

I have a "P" type 3.23 non-posi rear. I recently purchased a "P" type posi carrier unit from a car with 2.93 gears. My understanding is that the carrier for a 2.93 (mid-series) and 3.23 (low series) "P" type rear differs in where the ring gear mounting flange is positioned (which is necessary to accomodate the diffently sized pinion gears). However, I believe I CAN use the mid-series carrier with my low-series ring-gear IF I use a ring gear spacer orignally designed for a 12-bolt Chevy application.

Okay, all that out of the way, HERE is my question: Is the thickness of the Chevy ring gear I want to use (Mr. Gasket #902A), which is .310 inches, precisely the same as the distance I need to move the ring gear (ie closer to the pinion gear)?

Sorry for being wordy, and if I got any of the vocabulary wrong...I am on a steep learning curve! I would add, finally, that my car is street driven, not raced, so I am not terribly concerned about any reduced strengh associated with using longer ring gear bolts. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Scott,

I can't answer your question directly, but if you have both sets of gears and carriers, you have everything you need to measure the difference. I would suggest that you talk to an axle shop and explain what you are doing, and they should be able to jig up each unit and tell the difference in the critical dimension. Then you will know if the .310 spacer is adequate. If it is not, you could have a spacer of the correct thickness cut by a machine shop.

I have heard all of this before too, but have never come across anyone who actually has done it. Luckily I have found Saf-T-Trak units with the right gears for my cars, so never had to adapt.

Let us know what you find and how it works out.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks, Jim. Today I did speak with a guy at a local rear shop who says he has done the swap I am contemplating. He confirmed some info. I have seen posted in this forum before by oph (ol' pinion head). I still wasn't sure about some of the details, ie spacer thickness I mentioned above.

Only issue I have with measuring the units side by side is one of them is still in my car! I'd LIKE to bring my car to whatever shop I ultimately have do the job, and know that it will work before they take my differential apart. Was kinda hoping that with the right parts in hand, they could pull the axles, open the rear cover, remove my carrier and ring gear, swap my ring gear and the spacer onto the posi unit, put it back and shim it as needed. All with no snafus. After reading considerably on the subject and talking to a few guys, I feel relatively comfortable that it will work out, just wanted to have the benefit of as much advice as I can get.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 PM

One last thing, hope you Pontiac guys don't mind helping out an Olds guy...in the interest of "full disclosure", I guess I should mention that my car is a 1965 Oldsmobile Jetstar I (NOT a J88), and uses the Pontiac type rear gears.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:22 PM

Oh sure, now you tell us its an Olds!! If you have an interest in selling the non-posi carrier. please e-mail me (in my bio). I could use one, but not in a huge hurry for it, Joe

Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How cool, a Jetstar I. Been a very long time since I've seen one.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a pic I took of a '65 Olds Jetstar I in 1986 in my H.S. parking lot for the school newspaper. Pretty f'ing clean .