Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Hot Stall Issue

This started in a thread regarding hot start issues, but is a little different. My '67 GTO has a '69 400 block with a 461 stroker kit in it, Melling spc-5 cam (4 degrees advanced for torque), 850 cfm QJet, and a Holley gearotor electric fuel pump (no mechanical pump). I'm running a Pertonix Ignitor and a Blaster 2 coil. Last summer, it died while I was in slow traffic on a 90 degree day near Atlanta. I was able to coast off the highway. No click or anything when turning the key to Start, yet the meter showed 13 volts. I chalked this up to the common problem with GMs of this vintage: when the starter gets too hot, you get no juice.

Fast forward a little, and I've added a remote solenoid to the fender, so that I get full juice to the starter even when it gets hot. So this past summer, same scenario (different highway): stuck in traffic, 90 degree day, and it dies. Except this time, it cranks perfectly fine. Won't start, but it cranks. 15 minutes later, after cooling off, it fires right up and is fine once we're moving.

My temp gauge showed about 200 degrees, which should not be an issue. Anyone have any input as to whether it's the Ignitor or the coil getting too hot? Something else? They're both new this year, and I've used them in the past with no issues, but then I'm a relatively new transplant from the north. The other change made to the car (just last week) was discovering that I had no vacuum advance and that's been fixed.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before it dies does it start stumbling and running rich? Or just cut off like you turned the switch off?

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 09-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Almost like someone cut the switch. More like turning the volume down really fast. Smooth transition from running to not.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get that dam Pertronix's out of there and stuff in a GM HEI, I had two of those do that to me !

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

X2 on getting rid of pertronix. I went down that same path before and sometimes it worked fine but at the worst times it will let you down. Hot start problems and mine also would kill the motor while at cruising speeds. Went back with factory hei module and been good ever since.