67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default 67 deluxe interior door handles

Can someone tell me the best way of tightening up the scew that holds the door handle onto the splined latch mechanisim that sits inside the cup used to pull the door to close it.Seems really difficult to access unless Ive got the handles on upside down.

Dave from England

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Senior Chief

I finally got tired enough of spending 1/2 hour with a 5/32 box wrench to get that little bolt back onto the splined shaft that I came up with a better solution. My favorite local hardware store had the ratchet-type box wrench that worked like a charm. Not needing the other end of it, I cut it off and smoothed out the edges which allowed it to fit easily within the confines of the cup. Reattaching the door handle was now a 3-minute job.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5/16" actually. Given you're not in inch-units territory, you might look for an 8mm 6 pt version which is typical for a side post battery terminal for which they make cheap ratcheting wrenches.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the correction, Hammered. I was relying on my bad memory since at 5 degrees it's too dang cold to go out to the garage and look.