Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Help!How do you remover Judge Stripes?

I want to remove stripes without lifting paint to install new stripes and was wondering if anyone has removed these?I have removed other decals and was told to remove decals by using a hair dryer to heat them up and this always worked for me with smaller decals but dont know if this will work for the Judge stripes and I dont want to lift or peel the paint off beneath the decal.Any info would be much appreciated.Thanks

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

they make a wheel that is the same material as a pencil eraser...it goes on a drill..as long as the pait is not new/fresh..no damage..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

I just used a hair dryer to removed judge stripes with no problems.Just don't keep the heat in on spot to long

Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bunch of examples on U tube. Main thing is to pull decal back on/against itself and not try to lift straight up from surface (perpendicular to surface) or you may pull paint.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info.Craig

Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Use the hair dryer and pull back like the others said, they come off easy.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just had to do this to change the color on mine, How successful you are not damaging the paint will have a lot to do with the quality of the paint job. But heat, not too hot to soften glue, Pull slow steady rolling it off the car. The left over glue is another story. You ever get a boogie on your finger and it you can't get it off and say to yourself, wow they could make great glue out of this? LOL, well plan on dealing with one very large boogie. I had a lot of trouble with the glue until I got some kind of cleaner that was like a petroleum based, not harsh but would soften the glue enough to roll it off, I don't remember what it was called. The rubber wheel spoken of earlier is supposed to work for this too, but again, quality of paint work and prep has to be considered. Good luck

Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know what you use to apply new decals and the mixture?I believe it was Dawn dishwash soap and you mixed it with water I believe but dont know how much of either one to mix up?Thanks

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think its been known in the past that its ok to use a soapy mixture, but , I am not comfortable with that, ( I could be totally wrong on this ). I am wondering why you have new stripes where not sold a jell that is commonly used these days, I was always afraid the soap would affect the decal glue somehow. And the jell is thick so you have better chance of locking in the proper location. Back in the day I worked at a shop where they would use soapy water to put on big woodgrain decals. But,,, They only cared about getting it out the door with a higher profit. Just my 2cents ,maybe someone else can give you better idea of wether you can use the soap without worry. I got my stripes from Phenix Grafix, and it was a couple of more bucks for the jell. Good luck

Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

I dont have the stripes yet.Just getting all the info on removing and installing them.I actually put mine on dry the 1st time but never again cause once there placed you cant move them.Thats when the car was painted back in 1992 and I didnt know better or know anything on how to put them on.Since then Ive installed stripes on my 99 Trans Am and used a soapy solution that they had instructions on what to use and how to mix but dont have the instructions anymore.Thanks for info.Ill check on if I can get the solution.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1 cup water, 1 cup denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol, 1-2 drops dishwashing soap. Temporary line up stripes on car with masking tape, Measure and step back to make sure they are straight and lined up. Put 1-2 inch pcs of masking tape to line top and bottom of stripe. About 4-5 across door. Mark where stripe crosses panel gaps so you can line length back up. Remove stripe and start with door stripe only. Wipe and clean paint where door stripe fits between masking tape. Tape door stripe back in place using masking tape alignment marks. Pull half door stripe up, (make sure the other half is held secure and in place with masking tape. Spray soapy mixture on car where tape half goes. Pull the under protective release paper on the back, cut the release paper half way back. Spray soapy water on back side of tape then slowly line back up with masking tape points. Lightly place in position. If you press it down you won't be able to slide in position. Now you can slide and aline it. When in place use squeezy to squeeze out water and press in place. Repeat on the back half and the remaining stripes. Let dry in place a couple hours before removing top protective layer. When removing top layer pull back and not straight up. On door/fender gap use a razor blade and cut tape 1/32 to 1/16 from gap. Tape on the back of door you can get to wrap around but the fender gap is a pain
Measure twice and stand back and eye ball tape before mounting so you get it nice and straight. Once its on dry you can't move it.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the detailed info.This pretty much covers everthing.